Track day at Sydney Motorsport Park

oldblade

Same tyres as last time ill pop up another video which shows me opposite locking a lot more :) out of the old turn 9

I worked out when the traction control/ stability control kicks in and you can really play with the car just before it does which means y ou know you have it maxxed and you still have the toys there to save you

Camera is mounted just infront of the rear screen I used double sided tape and mounted the gopro on it

The tape was stuff my wife uses for craft and it stuck perfect and lifted off with no marks

Ill convert a few more videos and pop them up if people are interested

As mentioned here is another one 

This guy was quick I really tried but had no chance turns out he was one of the instructors in a Carrera 4S what was I thinking to even try

Lot's of people have had a look at these clips my driving and no one has said where i can improve why?

Well I'll bite.

Firstly it looks like you're out driving your favourite road in a street car. Half of this is correct. It is a street car. By that I mean a nice sports car on road tyres driving around a track. You have a stock seat with stock belts. So by comparison to a properly setup track car, there is way too much movement. Body, head, hands....all moving around too much. Part of this can't be helped. Due to stock seats and belts it's impossible to stay locked in so that's fair enough. So unless you're going to invest in a race seat with a harness, you will always move about...especially as your speed increases with each day on the track. What you can do though is limit the amount of hand movement both on the wheel and in the air...lol. In reality a pro would have you grip the wheel in the traditional 10 mins to 3 o'clock hand position and keep them there. You pre grip and shuffle steer. This is fine for the street and social trackdays but they would say that you can potentially lose the concept of where the wheel is pointing by constantly shifting it around the wheel. That you heel and toe to a degree is positive. Not many people do this or even know what it means. Especially women. Probably as they're usually in heels. (Note Ruth's video. She never rev matches on her downshifts...but having said that she does a good overall job I reckon). Also, you don't need to shift down a gear at the end of the main straight. You can hear the engine revving too high. It overslows you and also risks loosing traction on the downshift. Just touch the brakes which will tuck the nose down, and proceed through the corner, squeezing the accelerator at the apex to come out and floor it on exit. 

Having driven most of the current range of Porsches at Mt Cotton late last year, I can attest to just how good these cars are and so capable of driving quickly even on road tyres. Really had me quite stunned to be honest. 

Note Sean Buchanan in his 1986 944 turbo. (Select HD to watch it) Going much faster than you but looking entirely unfussed doing so. He's chasing a 997 GT2RS which is about the fastest road car Porsche has ever made to date. Sean is being held up by the GT2 but doesn't look like he's raising a sweat. This is his daily driver road car and the Recaro seats were an option for the 968. If you're going to do more trackdays you really should look at a half decent seat. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM5D0DYdZgk

Thank you for biting

It is our road car and I will be getting a track car I have been running a track/race bike for many years hence the body lean lol

I was actually trying the shift down to see what the difference was into turn 1 but will be going back to leaving it in 4th

Time wise I was happy in a street car on street rubber that video you just showed me was doing 2:10 quick my times went from 2:22 to 2:24 all day

It is always good to get others views

One thing I have learned over the last 20 years of being at the track on the bike is you can always learn from others

FYI Ruth's video this was her first day ever at the track and she managed a 2:50 I was so proud of her

Well it looks like you're both having a hoot which is the main thing....and yes, I think Ruth did really well too. Those times aren't too shabby. I've yet to drive on any of the new South Circuit. Back at the GP circuit in October for W.T.A. Will need to brush up myself. 

What track car are you thinking of? Best thing is to buy something someone else has poured their time and money into. 

Porsche or non Porsche? Can have a significant effect on the budget. 

Track/race car not sure yet I'd like a porka but will probably get something else $$$

Mate of mine is a major sponsor of IPRA and imports jap cars so ill probably end up with one of his though I think he got his hands on a 944 s2 so add a turbo and that could work

Track/race car not sure yet I'd like a porka but will probably get something else $$$

Mate of mine is a major sponsor of IPRA and imports jap cars so ill probably end up with one of his though I think he got his hands on a 944 s2 so add a turbo and that could work

Well in as much as I'm bias to front engine water pumpers, you could do worse. Like anything, there are the pro's and con's but if you work with someone that know these cars you can get a very satisfactory outcome. If you want to graduate to club racing then just do it with the PCNSW and that's a really good fun level to compete at. Supersprints and Motokhanas will provide plenty of satisfaction and the 944 series cars have dominated over the last few years. If you want any suggestions I'm happy to discuss this. In fact, I'm putting together a great club car. A 944 turbo with tons of great stuff on it. Ideally I'd like to keep it but with so much $$ going into the racecar I will be looking at selling it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived