Deceleration stall when cold

_Tony

I have lately been having an issue when the car is still cold. When I drive off and need to come to a stop, pressing the clutch upon deceleration the car stalls. This happens at low speeds either coming into second gear, or if I'm still in first and press the clutch. After the car gets to operating temp it doesn't stall.

Has anyone come across this issue, and if so, were you able to determine what the issue was? I'm having it looked but cant hurt to know if others have had this or have heard of this issue.

My mechanic has mentioned my CO levels are fine and is not running too rich. Base idle is set ok. The ICV seems to be operating ok but i am having it cleaned out. I may possibly get a new ICV, but my mechanic mentioned i should probably ensure the AFM is calibrated correctly as well. 

He also said he has had a couple cars where he simply hasn't been able to determine the cause which worries me. I don't really want to have this problem even though it only happens when cold.

Yep. I have an 88 3.2 with, oddly enough, an 84 Motronic.

It happens every once in a while and I generally ignore it. Only ever on cold mornings and only persists for about 500m.

If it was happening every day, though, I'd be taking a closer look.

I haven't had my AFM measured in a while, and I have no O2 sensor connected. I believe the O2 sensor looks after cold starts, too.

So sorry I have no solution, except for me it's rare and "one of those porsche things".

The engine is not getting enough fuel, which could be as a result of :

O2 Sensor, AFM or an air leak in the intake tract.

As it only appears to happen when its cold I'd suggest its more likley to be a combination of the O2 and AFM.

I have this problem. I sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the ICV to clean it out which fixed the problem initially but it slowly returned, although not as bad as before. I'll be interested to here if you solve it especially as I think we have the same mechanic.

wasser, i will get the O2 and AFM checked out.

Simon, will let you know if i get it resolved. Have you thought about replacing the ICV with a new one? Ive read on another forum someone doing as you did and the issue returning after a while.. a new one resolved it

Simon, will let you know if i get it resolved. Have you thought about replacing the ICV with a new one? Ive read on another forum someone doing as you did and the issue returning after a while.. a new one resolved it

I should probably replace it. It hasn't really bothered me as I've kind of figured out how to avoid it. There's only two stops before I hit the main road, then after that, it's warmed up enough that it won't do it. For those two times I need to stop, I slow down slowly and let the engine drop to idle speed before I push the clutch in slowly. I'll add it to my to do list though.

Yep, very easy to replace. Get a price off JustJames also if you're going to replace it.

Had the ICV cleaned and the mechanic made a few adjustments to make it run a bit leaner than it was. A couple outings and no stall. I don't consider it fixed yet. On one occasion it seemed as though it wanted to stall but didn't. But overall much improved. Might get the ICV replaced and still get the AFM checked out

• 5 weeks later...

Archived