GT3 gear ratio

hello; new to forum

everyone's telling me over time best 3 things to do to your 2000 touring 996 gt3 for the track in addition to decent wheels, tyres (running OZ Racing Aleggerita + Hoosier R6 twin groove) and aggressive camber are:

- single mass flywheel

- 4:11 ratio gearbox

- PSS9 Bilstein suspension

Below are factory ratios

1st Gear: 3.82

2st Gear: 2.15

3st Gear: 1.56

4st Gear: 1.21

5st Gear: 0.97

6st Gear: 0.83

Reverse Gear: 2.86

Final drive ratio: 3.44

Limited slip differential diff load/deceleration %: 40/60

What's 4:11 mean in layman terms???

Also how many club meets are people getting from their Hoosier R6's??? Porsche Club QLD run 5-6 sessions, 5 fast laps per session each time we meet.

Only done the 1 meet at Morgan Park so far.

Pics attached

post-202-127967568221_thumb.jpg

post-202-127967569189_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Braddo,

I think I am the 'layman' that Doug is referring to.

I have a Mk1 Touring, converted to Club Sport spec with welded cage, Eibach springs, single mass flywheel, Cup Car front brakes and gearbox selector cables and OZ Racing wheels. I run Dunlop Direzza 'R' spec tyres, medium/hard compound which seem to last about a season of Porsche Club sprint days. The format sounds similar to the Queensland club events. I am not aware of any Vic guys running Hoosiers so can't comment on the wear factor. Dunlops, Michelin and Toyo seem to be the rubber of choice down here.

The car was recently corner weighted / balanced and the final setup change will be to fine tune the front wheel camber/alignment as I haven't had this checked yet.

After this, I will just have to drive better!

My GT3 also has the 4.1 diff which I think effectively shortens the gear ratios resulting in better in-gear performance but lowering top speed. At all Victorian tracks except Winton I get to use all gears where some of my 996 3.4 ratio colleagues don't see sixth as they stay in the lower gears longer. I am pretty sure most, if not all of the 'Clubsport' GT3s in our club run the 4.1 ratio.

My GT3 Gallery

Hope this helps.

- single mass flywheel

- 4:11 ratio gearbox

- PSS9 Bilstein suspension

pss9's

no arguments there.

however, i will comment that the PSS9's are yesterdays hero.

pss10's are substantially easier to adjust.

i have had both. i liked both. preferred the 10's purely because of the ease of adjustment

PSS 9 /10's are considered the "softest" option for track work.

KW's are popular with the track junkies...a little more track focused.

probably not necessary unless you are alpha male, or racing for sheep stations. :lol:

if you want to go hardcore.... cup car suspension

with remote canisters :P

i see there is a set for sale on the Qld club website.

the car they came out of held numerous class wins....

Brakes

probably good to add SRF fluid and a pad change to your list of must do's.

Hi Q..,

Is that the GT3Mk1 that you had at one stage that had practically zero on the clock? I wondered what happened to it as it really needed to be put on a pedestal, and cherished such was its condition and mileage... :blink::o

Kerry

no, no.... different car !

the "new" clubsport with 111km is Jet black in colour....

996_GT3_mk1_0322_500.jpg

996_GT3_mk1_0360_500.jpg

Hi Q..,

Is that the GT3Mk1 that you had at one stage that had practically zero on the clock? I wondered what happened to it as it really needed to be put on a pedestal, and cherished such was its condition and mileage... :blink::o

Kerry

• 4 years later...

no, no.... different car !

the "new" clubsport with 111km is Jet black in colour....

996_GT3_mk1_0322_500.jpg

996_GT3_mk1_0360_500.jpg

Bit of a long shot being a "4 year old thread", nevertheless I was wondering if the low km Mk1 GT3 still exist? and if so does anyone know it's current condition/kMs.

Archived