FoSC event - Wakefield - Aug 6-8 2010

myred911

Greetings fellow P-people,

I have just returned from a foray interstate to test my driving skills at a FoSC-organised event at Wakefield Park just out of Goulburn.

What a great event it turned out to be. We departed Melb 06:30 Friday, arrived Goulburn 9 hours later after a leisurely trip (A fully-packed Cherokee and trailered-911 could not be anything else really). Two 2 fuel stops and a good run up the Hume. Dropped the trailer at the track and headed off to our digs and a feed.

Scrutineering at 07:15 Saturday required an early rise, but first I had to extract my little red car from under an ice crust, it was –5° at that time of day. Several buckets of cold water on the screen only saw the ice get thicker – go figure! Lesson learned, next day I covered the screen with a tarp - the trip to the track was a challenge until the 911's heater kicked in.

Practice laps early Saturday and Team Regularity events that afternoon and again Sunday. The event organisation was brilliant and so friendly. Even after a late start Sunday morning due to fog and even more ice, the organisers ensured that all competitors got their runs on time. After the fog and ice we enjoyed brilliant sunshine on both days.

We enjoyed the company of some great people over the weekend including Mal Brewster – Bathurst winner and track guru. There was great camaraderie on the track. Our sessions ended about 4 and we hit the road south. With all the B-doubles and other idiot drivers playing tag with my rig I felt much safer on the track.

We managed a few shots of other cars including numerous Porsches including a sweet 914/6, a Hillman Imp and a Simca between events.

Click here:- FoSC - Wakefield Park.

Cheers

Red11

Hi Douglas + CP933,

Glad you like the pix - I was shooting with one hand tied behind my back as I had broken my favourite 70-300mm Nikkor lens and was forced to use a 170-500mm heavyweight that has quite different dynamics.

You"re right - no Vic Porsches but a handful of other marques, MGB-GTs, MX5s and a Sprite made the trip - that 914/6 grabbed my interest as it lifts a wheel out of a corner.

We had a chat with a young fella, Michael Anderson, in his beautifully prepped replica GT Falcon he was having his first event in this car. He was tested by other competitors in the rough & tumble of track life and unfortunatley his GT's brakes failed him - piston seals popped!. He still left the track still with a smile on his face and that is what the FoSC events are about.

It still amazes me (but I do understand) that people spend huge amounts of money and time building and running old muscle cars that can't stop and cannot handle. As some of us might remember these GTs still had rear drum brakes.

I teamed up with a bloke in a well-prepped 1969 911 in the Team Regularity - through guile, planning and sheer luck we managed a 3rd place which was great. I attempted a Webber style leap but the kness said NO!

Until next time...

Red11

We managed a few shots of other cars including numerous Porsches including a sweet 914/6, a Hillman Imp and a Simca between events.

Click here:- FoSC - Wakefield Park.

Cheers

Red11

"Managed just a few" eh?! <_<:rolleyes: Nice shooting, but a "170-500mm heavyweight", no wonder you needed the trailer!

Looks like a really good event Red11, how much of it was regularity, and how much sprints or races?

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

The Regularity drivers had a track familiarisation on Sat morning of 14 laps, then 5 laps in the afternoon to set a time, then sessions of 7, 8 and 7 laps as competition on Sunday.

Re that 500mm lens - it worked OK really - just a matter of getting enough light to auto-focus and keep the image in the viewfinder as it tends to jump around.

I pushed the ISO to 1600 and worked with a shutter no slower that 350-400/sec with no tripod (Far too clumsy). I was lucky as the day was bright and sunny. My favourite lens is a 70-300 but I am waming to the 170-500. I suspect it will not be useful in poor light conditions.

Regs

Red11

Of the 29 competion events over Sat & Sunday the Regularity entrants had 5 of those runs. The events circulated fairly fast so I had to keep listening to PA and watch for any movement of the cars in the previous event. Not much time to chat, coffee and check the car between events. The organisers kept things running really well.

Red911

FOSC runs a number of different categories, reg is minor with the main focus on racing. Group s is the main area for porsches being manufactured between 1970 to 77 sorry SCs not included. They are unbelievably quick. Such is the dominance of porsche in group s the competitors call it group stutgart ! Duk

FOSC runs a number of different categories, reg is minor with the main focus on racing. Group s is the main area for porsches being manufactured between 1970 to 77 sorry SCs not included. They are unbelievably quick. Such is the dominance of porsche in group s the competitors call it group stutgart ! Duk

I agree DuK - the Porsches in Group Sc were all in a hurry and provide a great spectacle - the results for that group had Porsches in 7 of the top 10 places.

Regularity event is a great stepup from a club track day with greater track congestion, passing in corners etc.

Regs

Red11

Archived