Hel Braided Brake Lines

Caledonian

Ticked off one more of the "JOBS TO BE DONE" list the other day.

While i was originally only fitting these to improve my brake pedal feel (stiffer) it turned out the rear hoses were overdue for replacement.  Only took an hour but in saying that I'd already had the car on stands finishing of the handbrake cable replacement.

Could this be the original part?

file-5.jpg

Didn't look that bad in place..

th_file.jpg

Closer inspection was a bit worrying..

th_file-4.jpg

New ones look and perform great! shame they are hidden under the car..

th_file-8.jpg

Front too..

th_file-6.jpg

Did mine recently and they were at least 15 years old. Right front had been getting hot and caused me an issue on SMT. Found out it was basically blocked. With my car brake feel didn't change much in day to day driving but there was a massive difference in feel when you really get on them, at the limits.

Ironically the PO had spent $2500 on getting the brakes "overhauled" only 18months ago, all callipers overhauled,new pads all round, rear discs replaced and the front discs machined! no mention on the invoice of brake lines or condition? 

My car also came with new pads and machined Discs but the lines were obviously cactus. I guess the brake lines are often overlooked, as brakes work so well compared to ordinary cars, that the slight drop off in performance isn't noticed as much. 

I found a set of those on my car when it was up on Ken's lift! lol, so I can't say what it was like without them

I've been told they're not compliant to ADR's though (cause they don't have a sleeve/cover over the outside of the stainless) anyone else heard this? - not that it's going to matter)

I did pre soak them with WD40 before i attempted to undo them. The hard (metal) lines from the calliper would be easy to replace and most good auto spares shop will normally carry pre-made lengths. The ones from the master cylinder would not be so much fun to replace so i would be carful with them.

Apart from the pre-soak in penetrating oil, i would make sure you use good quality spanners on both the flexible and hard line nuts so the don't round off.

Good luck

I found a set of those on my car when it was up on Ken's lift! lol, so I can't say what it was like without them

I've been told they're not compliant to ADR's though (cause they don't have a sleeve/cover over the outside of the stainless) anyone else heard this? - not that it's going to matter)

The Hel ones are ADR compliant probably as they are made in Australia. They also have the plastic sleeve, the ones from Pelican

would probably not be ADR compliant. I went for these ones as the had stainless steel fittings...

Archived