Cheap safe car for daughter

I'm still a big fan of the Mark 4 VW golf, had one for 5 years.

Really well made, German engineering, airbags, abs, excellent side intrusion bars in the doors. The doors shut with that reassuring "clunk" sound that we all like too.

Parts are a little bit more expensive, but not stupidly so. I had a GTI which would probably be too expensive for her to insure, but the 2.0 sport version is a great little car

+1

I had one of these for the family supermarket hack and sold it to my sister for her sons first car. It is still going strong and still looks good despite now being 14 years old.

Only troubles I had were the window winders (v common) and gearshift linkages (brittle plastic)

I would look at a 3 series, but not if it breaks the budget. They do have specific oil and coolant requirements which can add up. A whole other level above a Toyota or Sube though.

Personally I find subarus a bit agricultural and would go for the best polo or golf I could find. Stay away from the yaris grade stuff - just too small and nasty. I recently had a rental Chevrolet sonic (booted barina) - a hateful, noisy little car.

Then again - nobody ever mentions a Camry. Automotive white goods but a decent chunk of metal for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived