Cheap safe car for daughter

Alas, the butter has been cleaned by Gary Blackman. Seems like it was a good job.

So, with that in mind, what would you suggest a 19yo buy as her.first car with around $5k.

Are the Yaris size cars just too small to be safe?

I was thinking. Subaru forester or imprezza, being AWD, giving her a greater chance of turning 20.

Thoughts, comments, or do you have a good little DD you might want to sell?

C.

Subaru or Toyota.

Subaru definitely, buy on condition and ensure it has a full service history, as the Km's travelled will be irrelevant if its been serviced.

I just picked up a 2000 Model WRX for 8.5k for my estranged wife. FSH Minter with no modifications.

A similar vintage RX would run around 5k for a good one.

Liberty's can be had for similar money and they a bomb proof.

My 17yo just got a very clean Nissan Pulsar Q (Gen 4, N14). Those things are pretty much bullet proof in terms of reliability, and (the SSS variant) got Wheels CoTY in '91 so I was quite happy with the choice. He only had $3K to spend though so choices were more limited. We were looking at older BMW 3-series, but when I started looking at repair costs we moved on. One thing I'd recommend anyone (and I'm preaching to the choir here I know) is a driving course - knowing how to drive safely is half the battle won when it comes to longevity on this planet, and that will be in my boys stocking at Christmas time.

Good luck with the search - it's a harrowing time I found!

Just got out of a 2010 yaris, very good on fuel and probably a good kids car if it is only urban.

Couple of downfalls though, very uncomfortable on a long haul and you feel like you are going to fall of the seats when you go around a corner, 1.3 manual is a chore to drive, a fast take off to get across an intersection or roundabout will have you riding the clutch and hoping to god you don't get t-boned. 

Suby's are great cars and I love 'em, bang for your buck get everything you need for a great drivers car, all wheel drive makes them a bit safer in the wet, a bit hard on juice though if it's an older model.

Suzuki Swift - they're the ultimate girls car! (and they're fun too, I drove my sisters for a bit and it was a blast on a windy bit of road, even as an automatic)

relatively new, cheap enough to service, and reliable

My sister is in the same situation, been looking at very similar cars listed above.

What about a Mitsubishi Mirage? They share a lot of parts with that year model lancer (CE), which means that parts are readily available and cheap. Simple and light car, meaning theres nothing much to go wrong with them and Ive always found Mitsubishi build quality and engineering quite good. 

Otherwise, Toyota Echo would be my next choice. Dont think she would be able to drive a WRX on her P's and Im not sure how good the Impreza would be for 5k. You have to consider as well, AWD while it adds the safety factor also has its drawbacks through daily driving, increased tire wear, increased fuel consumption and more things to go wrong (more servicing required).

…..or a 96/97 Daihatsu Charade F2.  Yep, Daihatsu went bust and Toyota bought them.

they featured :  4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, Power steering, drivers side air bag, 1.5 litre engine, 5 speed manual only, 14" wheels, body kit, big script down each side, 4 speaker stereo, optional air conditioning ……...and a driving session with Peter Brock.

These things handle like they are on rails, stop on nothing, have a tight turning circle and economical to run.

Parts (most) are still available through Toyota.

CHARADE3_zps9e66dd47.jpg

Made in limited numbers to commemorate the Australian F2 Rally Championship hence the F2.

I only put this in as an example of what is out there. This one has upgraded and lowered springs and runs 15x6" wheels with 195/50/15 GT Radials.

BMW E46 318i.... they come with 8 airbags, stability control and within your budget.... slam the door on one of those compared to your average late model japanese car to compare safety.....find a good one thats been serviced and it will last you a long time with minimal upkeep dollars wise..

A mate of mine is a panel beater and he tells me Toyota's have very strong bodies and bumper bars filled with high density foam. My son has a four year old Yaris as his Uni transport and it works fine.

Don't buy a Barina  (Daewoo), they only have a 2 star ANCAP. They seem bullet proof though as I currently have one for my work hack.

Looking at getting a new corolla on lease and then paying the 6 k residual and handing it to my daughter in 5 years time when she turns 16.

for safety I'll stretch up to a NCAP5 car say a $10K Mazda 3

Something with airbag, traction control, ABS.

For fun, a nice MX5.

Orion, we're just about to put our 2002 MX5 up for sale to be replaced by a Boxster.  Silver, Manual, 110,000kms.  Happy to bring to Melbourne on the way to pick up the Boxster (whichever one we end up chosing).

However, first cars for our daughters were 1996 Mondeo, and 2000 Elantra.  Both great cars for low $$.  Both now have Kia's - Cerato and Rio, 2005 or thereabouts.  Can't speak more highly of them, cheap to run, cheap parts that the local mechanic can service easily, and not too bad to drive, even longer distances.  Don't believe the stories about Korean rubbish, they really are good cars now.  I had a Hyundai Santa Fe that was far better than my current Peugeot 4007 (read Outlander with a diesel).  Wish I'd kept the Santa Fe....

Don't believe the stories about Korean rubbish, they really are good cars now.  I had a Hyundai Santa Fe that was far better than my current Peugeot 4007 (read Outlander with a diesel).  Wish I'd kept the Santa Fe....

First student car was a Hyundai Accent , 21 yo loves it and it just needs the odd oil change. Bulletproof . Other son is in a '98 Outback , also bulletproof and easy to service. Wife has a '11 Santa Fe which is as torquey as the Territory before it (easily pulls our loaded boat up our steep hill) , and costs 1/2 as much to fuel up each week.

I'm still a big fan of the Mark 4 VW golf, had one for 5 years.

Really well made, German engineering, airbags, abs, excellent side intrusion bars in the doors. The doors shut with that reassuring "clunk" sound that we all like too.

Parts are a little bit more expensive, but not stupidly so. I had a GTI which would probably be too expensive for her to insure, but the 2.0 sport version is a great little car

Archived