Looking to by an 80's 3.2lt - Carrera or Targa?

DT-911

Hi there Porsche People!

My names Dave, I live in Melbourne (don't hold that against me all those north of the border!) and at the moment I am looking at doing a UK private import of a 1985 911. The financials seem to be massively in favour of picking up a reasonably low mileage example from there and getting it container freighted and complianced once here Vs grabbing anything on the local market. The UK also has a very large number of RHD 911's available.

Anyway, to business... I have always loved the style of the Targa's, but understand that coupe's are more collectable for purists. My question(s) for the better informed of you all are:

1. Apart from the structural integrity a coupe shell with fixed roof would have over a targa (or cab) what is the difference between the 2? Are there drive train variations? Are coupes more powerful?

2. If I can successfully get one here, what are the basic compliance requirements? Like, does a MPH speedo have to be changed to KMH?

3. When freighting, what high use or service type spare parts (or even rarer sought after bits) should I be trying to source from the UK (or Europe) and throw in the boot/container? I understand the value equation of getting stuff from that side of the planet having owned a 95 Range Rover for the last 10 years or so!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, when I get my baby I promise I will share my learnings moving forward!

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Don't take me as an expert, but my understanding is that coupes are prefered for performance driving because of the stiffer chassis'. They obviously have different aesthetic appeals, and I have to admit I quite like both. It always amuses me to see my '75 car worth less than half in Targa format, even though they are supposedly the same car! It comes down to what you want to do with it -" wind in the hair" lifestyle, or purist 911 performance. But be sure of one thing, Porsche don't make a slow car, so you'll have a hoot in whatever you get!

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi Dave,

Welcome and good luck with the hunting. Not having had any experience in bringing a Porsche in ( I have brought a 66 mustang convertible in from the US) I will be interested to hear how you get on. I guess the only comment I would say is that be mindful of rust issues with cars out of EU due to salting of roads and other chemical used to keep the roads clear of ice and snow.

Are you looking to buy private or from one of the dealers over there? My brother-inlaw bought a car from Autofarm back in the 80's and was very happy with how it all turned out.

So good luck and I will be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

Chris

Hi there Porsche People!

My names Dave, I live in Melbourne (don't hold that against me all those north of the border!) and at the moment I am looking at doing a UK private import of a 1985 911. The financials seem to be massively in favour of picking up a reasonably low mileage example from there and getting it container freighted and complianced once here Vs grabbing anything on the local market. The UK also has a very large number of RHD 911's available.

Anyway, to business... I have always loved the style of the Targa's, but understand that coupe's are more collectable for purists. My question(s) for the better informed of you all are:

1. Apart from the structural integrity a coupe shell with fixed roof would have over a targa (or cab) what is the difference between the 2? Are there drive train variations? Are coupes more powerful?

2. If I can successfully get one here, what are the basic compliance requirements? Like, does a MPH speedo have to be changed to KMH?

3. When freighting, what high use or service type spare parts (or even rarer sought after bits) should I be trying to source from the UK (or Europe) and throw in the boot/container? I understand the value equation of getting stuff from that side of the planet having owned a 95 Range Rover for the last 10 years or so!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, when I get my baby I promise I will share my learnings moving forward!

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. As someone reasonably new myself....these guys know stuff. Interesting topic you raise, as I have also thought of importing a Porsche from the UK. I guess my real concern is that I think I would need to go over and see it myself before purchase; although such sites as PistonHead seem to be pretty good.

Be interested to see how you go.......as for Kerry's comment about a targa,and "wind in your hair"; the assumption there is you have some....!!!

Good luck,

cheers

Peter

Are you looking to buy private or from one of the dealers over there? My brother-inlaw bought a car from Autofarm back in the 80's and was very happy with how it all turned out.

Its a private buy, and there is no doubt some risk involved, but they do say 'no risk - no reward' so I just gotta hope it all pans out the right way.

So are there any high use parts or desirable upgrade I should be trying to load up on whilst doing a shipping? Is there somewhere else I should look to find out about this?

Archived