The Green Hell

Guest Sweaty Betty

Guest Sweaty Betty

"Last week the odd sounding, odd looking, but devastatingly effective Gumpert Apollo Speed posted a blistering lap time around the Nürburgring Nordschleife. A time of 7 minutes 11.57 seconds was recorded at the hands of 26 year old Florian Gruber. That is damn quick! And it looks quick, too. You can see a video of the lap after the jump.

According to Sport Auto the Gumpert’s time makes it the fastest road registerable car around the Nordschleife, bettering the time of the previous record holder, the Donkervoort D8 RS, by 3.32 seconds. "

[source: Sport Auto]

• 4 months later...

Hi Doug,

It was EURO195 and you can take up to 3 people for that. I had to book 9 months in advance. although there were people turning up and going on a standby list where if only 1 person was going they could negotiate direct with that person for a ride. One of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I stayed at Sabine Schimtz's mothers hotel in Nurburg and Sabine runs the restaurant there. The weekend I was there it was the 6 hour race on the saturday and then open track on the sunday. The most amzing thing when you are in this car that is absolutley hammering and passing mum and dad and the kids going for it in there Golf TDI!!AWESOME fun. the time we did was 8mins 40sec. I missed out on Sabine driving as she had driven in the 6 hour race the day before but Fritz the guy that took me was really great, he talked the whole way round and explained all about the car and the histroy of the track all while doing 200kmh plus.

If you get the chance to go, its definitely something I would recommend. i actaully have the contact details somehwere directly with the company that runs the run taxi for BMW. i will try to find it and pass it on.

Cheers

Chris

Found it! OK Speed Marketing GmbH and Co

Tel: +49 (0) 2691 9320

Fax: +49 (0) 2691 9317

Email: ringtaxi@ok-speedmarketing.com

Web: www.bmw-motorsport.com/ringtaxi

The way the system works is they release a certain amount of tickets each week and once you purchase a tiket then you have to book a timeslot. I found that no matter how quick I was each weeks amount of tickets got sold in the blink of an eye. So I ended calling them and bought a ticket that way and they even made the timeslot booking for me at the same time.

One day I would love to go back and do it again. Oh I also have the number of the taxi driver that picked me up from the train station in the nearby town and he runs a B&B in Nurburg also.

Hope this helps

C

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the detailed information. This will be a real help for me.

My trips are not normally planned that far ahead so hopefully I can phone and book. And there is always the standby option.

The ring taxi looks like a good option to get the experience in a fast and safe manner, given all the other random traffic.

It's not cheap, but then again it is a pretty unique.

Thanks,

Doug

Archived