Replacement OEM Stereo

mockney999

Hello and Good Morning,

I have another question that I would like to throw out to the very helpful people here on this forum regarding upgrading the stereo system on my 987 boxster.

My car currently has just the basic CD changer unit installed and it's a problem because I want to use my Ipod and I cant. I have been told I would need to upgrade to the SAT Nav type stereo to make this work. An example of what I am considering to upgrade too is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111139884640?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_720wt_1004

I have a couple of question before I consider buying myself an early xmas pressie.

1. Is a swap possible?.

2. If yes is it an easy swap for my existing unit, i.e. is all the wiring etc required to run this unit already in place or is this going to cost me a small fortune to install and rewire?.

3. Will I be able to use my ipod through this unit?.

Your adivce as always in very much appreciated, fingers crossed its a simple switch over process because having the sat nav system installed would also improve the look and feel of the interior, I think it could be a very nice upgrade.

you probably don't want to hear this but I bought a little FM transmitter on e-bay for just under $5, it plugs into the bottom of my iPhone and is powered either by the phone or via the lighter socket in the chuck bucket (at which point it charges my phone as well)

The audio quality is generally pretty good.

Some times it can struggle a little with deep base but in all reality it makes me laugh that it works at all for the money….

Don't get me wrong while its definitely lofi it does work quite well.

I guess if you put a holder on the windscreen then you have sat nav too

all for $5 Just a thought  :)

I am not entirely sure how helpful I can be but in my 06 Cayman S, I have the Bose audio system with single CD in dash and CD changer in the front. After searching for a while, I ordered the Dension Gateway 500 Lite. It is mounted on top of the changer and basically replaces the changer in the audio "loop" or chain.

I leave my ipod touch plugged in in the front boot (because I am too lazy to figure out how to pass the cable into the cabin).

The sound quality is SO much better than an FM modulator I tried. IN fact it is almost brillinant. I cannot see the song tracks on my stereo, but I can use the right hand knob to toggle through songs. Spotify is my music source at the moment, and when I "star" all my favorite tracks, I just play the "starred" playlist and it works flawlessly.

The Dension is an interesting unit as it needs "booting up" when first installed. You have to download an install file for your type of car from the main website, plug the USB into the Dension, then connect it up and power it up.. then the unit will work.

I'm no expert... but I'm glad I finally got the bugger to work. If I can just figure out where to pass a cable through then then a good spot to mount the Touch inside, it would be awesome.

Thanks for the advice guys, yea I guess that would be cheaper than buying the OEM sat nav and I will take a look at both options, but I am still interested in the actual replacement of my current unit for the upgraded one... I quite like the idea of having the built in sat nav... if its possible without too much hassle.

Hello and Good Morning,

I have another question that I would like to throw out to the very helpful people here on this forum regarding upgrading the stereo system on my 987 boxster.

My car currently has just the basic CD changer unit installed and it's a problem because I want to use my Ipod and I cant. I have been told I would need to upgrade to the SAT Nav type stereo to make this work. An example of what I am considering to upgrade too is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111139884640?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_720wt_1004

I have a couple of question before I consider buying myself an early xmas pressie.

1. Is a swap possible?.

2. If yes is it an easy swap for my existing unit, i.e. is all the wiring etc required to run this unit already in place or is this going to cost me a small fortune to install and rewire?.

3. Will I be able to use my ipod through this unit?.

Your adivce as always in very much appreciated, fingers crossed its a simple switch over process because having the sat nav system installed would also improve the look and feel of the interior, I think it could be a very nice upgrade.

I have that exact unit in my 987 and it will not play your iPod. It has no aux in either, nor does it have bluetooth.  You'll be in the same position you are in now, except you'll have GPS if you can get the Aus maps to work on it.

As Mike said above, you don't have many options but what you do have is Dension and Mobridge.  The latter is a specific unit built for Porsche and is meant to be the bees knees - it should be as its about $1000 worth installed.

The best way to get a good system is to go with an aftermarket head unit. But I'm not willing to ruin the look of my interior by going this route so totally understand if that isn't feasible for you either.

I'm sort of thinking I'll just persevere with burnt cds and my headphones plugged into my phone for now... I have redundancy looming at work, if that happens I'll probably have to put my car on the market.. so not spending any unnecessary $ on it for now.

EDIT:  - also do some research on the MOST system too, not sure if your current set up is compatible with the SatNav unit pictured. Check out planet-9, I'd look myself now but its blocked inthe office.

I have that exact unit in my 987 and it will not play your iPod. It has no aux in either, nor does it have bluetooth.  You'll be in the same position you are in now, except you'll have GPS if you can get the Aus maps to work on it.

As Mike said above, you don't have many options but what you do have is Dension and Mobridge.  The latter is a specific unit built for Porsche and is meant to be the bees knees - it should be as its about $1000 worth installed.

The best way to get a good system is to go with an aftermarket head unit. But I'm not willing to ruin the look of my interior by going this route so totally understand if that isn't feasible for you either.

I'm sort of thinking I'll just persevere with burnt cds and my headphones plugged into my phone for now... I have redundancy looming at work, if that happens I'll probably have to put my car on the market.. so not spending any unnecessary $ on it for now.

EDIT:  - also do some research on the MOST system too, not sure if your current set up is compatible with the SatNav unit pictured. Check out planet-9, I'd look myself now but its blocked inthe office.

Thanks Amanda,

Well I guess that answers my question, very little point in spending a grand on a replacement unit when the major objective wont be achieved. And yes I dont want an aftermarket unit installed either I want to keep my interior 100% standard.

I will go down the route suggested by Bafe, it seems the quickest and cheapest option, at least it gives me some way of playing my music (other than as you mentioned having to burn loads of CD's).

I have seen a few on Ebay already but I may see if I can find one locally, maybe JB hifi or Jaycar have something you can purchase.

Thanks Amanda,

Well I guess that answers my question, very little point in spending a grand on a replacement unit when the major objective wont be achieved. And yes I dont want an aftermarket unit installed either I want to keep my interior 100% standard.

I will go down the route suggested by Bafe, it seems the quickest and cheapest option, at least it gives me some way of playing my music (other than as you mentioned having to burn loads of CD's).

I have seen a few on Ebay already but I may see if I can find one locally, maybe JB hifi or Jaycar have something you can purchase.

I tried one from belkin I think it was. Got it from the Apple store on the proviso that if i didnt like the sound, I could return it.  I didnt like it. It only played from my front speakers, didn't activate the BOSE at all and just sounded horrible. I also didnt like how I had to operate it from the cigarette lighter unit.  Maybe you can find a better one.

I tried one from belkin I think it was. Got it from the Apple store on the proviso that if i didnt like the sound, I could return it.  I didnt like it. It only played from my front speakers, didn't activate the BOSE at all and just sounded horrible. I also didnt like how I had to operate it from the cigarette lighter unit.  Maybe you can find a better one.

Hi Amanda,

Oh dear, I have just got back from JB hifi with the Belkin FM transmitter :-)... ok I will give it a try anyway I am doing the Great Ocean Road trip shortly so for a temporary measure it will have to do... its better than nothing I guess. Maybe I will look at the other option longer term in the new year... I have added it to my ebay watch list and thanks for searching it out. 

• 3 months later...

I changed my head unit for one that would do iPhone connect and Bluetooth. WORST thing I ever did. I have the MOST system with Bose. The sound was a complete joke compared to what I had. Two days later I went back and I got it all removed and back to normal. To be honest I have Iphone connectivity in my Merc and I have only used it once.

Archived