Turbo Tie Rods - Anyone done this?

3point2

I've been advised that one of the best suspension upgrades (on a 'best outcome for a fair price' basis) is to install tie rods from a turbo car into my 85 Carrera.

You can buy the parts from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=TTK-930N&catalog_description=&%2539%2531%2531%2520Turbo%2520Tie%2520Rod%2520Kit%2520%2528%2531%2539%2536%2539%252D%2538%2539%2529

Has anyone done this upgrade? I'm really keen to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience with this before I fork out the loot.......???

Anyone?

I have done it, as  have many others.  Well worthwhile, much better steering, steering feel and handling.  If you don't have 16" wheels, (my car came with 15" from the factory) change to 16" as that too improves handling and response.

If your car is lowered, have it checked for bump steer.

Ensure that front and rear toe in are correct - and 'correct' changes dependent upon what you intend using the car for.  Track and sprint set up is different to pure road set up.

Probably worthwhile fitting a strut brace, especially if you run modern tyres with more grip

I have done it, as have many others. Well worthwhile, much better steering, steering feel and handling. If you don't have 16" wheels, (my car came with 15" from the factory) change to 16" as that too improves handling and response.

If your car is lowered, have it checked for bump steer.

Ensure that front and rear toe in are correct - and 'correct' changes dependent upon what you intend using the car for. Track and sprint set up is different to pure road set up.

Probably worthwhile fitting a strut brace, especially if you run modern tyres with more grip

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Strut brace is a great idea - and the obvious step to take after tie rods I think.

Did you buy your tie rods and/or struts through pelican? My mechanic quoted $500 for tie rods alone - but Pelican have them for $170 - just want to be sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks again for your post mate. Gives me comfort that it's a good investment.

The Pelican ones are fine. It is a straightforward install , the only issue is removing the old ones as they are tight and access is a bit tricky . Upon removal , inspect the old ones and see how much sponginess exists in the stock rubber bushes!

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Strut brace is a great idea - and the obvious step to take after tie rods I think.

Did you buy your tie rods and/or struts through pelican? My mechanic quoted $500 for tie rods alone - but Pelican have them for $170 - just want to be sure I buy the right thing.

If you feel your mechanic is being a little erm, creative in his charging, look at local suppliers. (Yes, I am one, but there are others.) If you support a local supplier, you will have the benefit of local support for whatever you have bought. In return, a local supplier should charge a similar price to get the parts in your hand as you would pay from a US supplier.

As tazzieman alluded, the reason that a turbo tie rod kit works so well as an upgrade is that all the joints are metal, which makes for greater precision in setup and in steering.

I have bought parts from Pelican, but in this case bought from JustJames - see an earlier post.  If there isn't a big difference, I prefer to buy from a local supplier and have the back up.  I get very good back up from JustJames 'cos he is my son and he knows if he does not look after me, there'll be no Christmas Pud for him.  Others on this forum seem satisfied as well, so it is not only the family connection that seems to be well regarded.

My car is an '84 Carrera so provided your car is one of those that were supplied before they got laden with pollution control, it is likely to be identical.  The mod that you are considering was the first that I did and in terms of value for money, provided the best bang for buck.

Don't forget the alignments and also the car's 'attitude' - the rake from front to back and the ride height.  These will give handling improvement for little cost. 

I've gone on to fit stiffer torsion bars, some Wevo suspension parts, better anti roll bars, improved shocks, r spec rubber, - be aware that you are standing on the edge of a slippery slope.  One that is fun and satisfying.

Another well worth while improvement is stiffer engine and gearbox mounts and an improved (I used Wevo) gear shift linkage.  The gear linkage is self explanatory.  The stiffer mounts did a lot of stuff to my car; - improved shifting but also 'tied' the rear down and in my opinion, resulted in an improvement in handling.

FWIW, over the years I've spent a tidy amount of money on my car, BUT I bought it new and have had a heap of fun over 30 years of spirited driving.  AND despite spending money on its development, I've had the satisfaction of improving it and still have certainly spent less than replacing it a few times with new cars would've cost.  Go for it.

+1 on all,previous posters, really is a mod bang for buck that delivers the most fun & is item 2 on the list for 2014 on my car.

I had this fitted on my '86 3.2, along with solid engine & g/box mounts.... Everything that SydR said in spades......

As for this I will be going local rather than P.P purely because it is faster to deal with local than good ole USA...... I buy from P.P but for this it is really worth the extra $ dealing / sourcing locally.......

Archived