356 investing

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Looks like a really nice example - fully restored http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-356A-1959/SSE-AD-2039299/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

I wonder how the appreciation market will treat 356 Porsches?  Clearly these models now are for collecting and maybe a once a year drive.  I purchased a book from America on my 964 and received a "Porsche 356 registry" magazine with it for free.  Just a quick browse through it and I was surprised (although i don't know why) what a massive 'business' 356 cars are in the states.

Are people pulling their money out of the bank and investing in these (purely as assets)? I guess it makes sense - in this example 100K in the bank gets you at best 4.5% - you would have to think this car would appreciate by that amount each year too?

356's are a big business in the states and it is fair to say that the US of A has helped the Posche Brand along its way in a big way, without the Americans, it is highly likely that Porsche may have just stayed as a small boutique car maker to be gobbled up by BMW or MB.

356's as an investment? I don't think that anyone should enter into a Car with the expectation that it will appreciate in value.

When I first acquired my 356, it was for the simple reason that it was such a characterful car that provided a wonderful ownership and enthusiast experience.The technology fascinates me.

Sure, if you pick the right model you can invest with a great deal of certainty that you will get your money back.

Sadly, I only drive mine about 3 times a year due to its value and how hard it would be to replace it, in fact it is irreplaceable in its current form.

There is plenty of statistical evidence to suggest that alot of cashed up people are shifting their investment strategy into classic vehicles, Porsches included.

This, for me, is like a chap I once met who has a box of Grange Hermitage as an investment, was never going to drink it, it was just an investment trinket.

Wine is meant to be drunk, Cars are meant to be driven and money is meant to be spent.

Then again, I'd rather have a million dollars worth of special cars as opposed to real estate.

But they'd all have stone chips and bug guts on them...............

This 356A model for 100k? Its not particularly rare, however it has had alot of cash spent on it.

If you want a 356 as an investment I'd suggest going for open top cars and if you want an investment and a the best drivers, I recommend going for a 356 C Model. Compared to the earlier A and B models they are superior vehicle.

Tish.

When the wine has been drunk, it has gone.

After you have driven your 356, it is still there to drive again.

Stone chips? That's what paint is for.

I'm with Airhead.

Don't save it for the next guy.

Enjoy it yourself.

If I've learnt one thing over my Porsche years, it is that these cars need to be driven, deserve to be driven and enjoyed by me, not the next guy along.

Whilst I'm the caretaker, I'm also the lucky driver.

Spread the joy, get it out today and get that little flat four humming.

Post a photo!

Even better if it's filthy (the car) in the shot.

You'll feel much better afterwards.....

I'm with Airhead.

Don't save it for the next guy.

Enjoy it yourself.

If I've learnt one thing over my Porsche years, it is that these cars need to be driven, deserve to be driven and enjoyed by me, not the next guy along.

Whilst I'm the caretaker, I'm also the lucky driver.

Spread the joy, get it out today and get that little flat four humming.

Post a photo!

Even better if it's filthy (the car) in the shot.

You'll feel much better afterwards.....

100% agreed.

I'm only new to this P car thing (SC ownership for 11 months) but I've come to realise driving mine regularly is not much more expensive than letting it sit to accumulate in-activity issues.

So, my new years resolution will be to beat my monthly average of 1000k's in my first year of ownership. From what I can see the car is loving me for it!

Archived