996 and 997.1 GT3 - child seats in rear

bradw

Hi,

Are there any GT3 owners in Australia who have installed seat belts in the rear to accommodate carrying toddlers/young children in the back?

From what I have seen online it has been done a few times in the UK and US, since all the anchor points for the belts are installed from the factory. In the UK at least, there doesn't seem to be a legality or insurance issue but I am wondering what the view of the Australian authorities might be.

A photo in this US thread shows that the upper tethering points appear to be installed too.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/376327-rear-seats-installed-pics.html

I want a GT3 and having the option to put young children in the back occasionally would be a nice nod to practicality.

Apparently the 997.2 GT3s have a different firewall or parcel shelf so rear seat belts are not possible.

Thanks,

Brad

Hi Brad

Welcome to the forum.

I explored this before before purchasing my current P car and was told that its quite a lot of hassle here in Australia, the rules/laws are much tougher. At the time l was quoted about 15k which also required an engineers report.

It all seemed too difficult so ended up purchasing a 911 turbo and haven't look back.

How ever there are some GT3's that were ordered from new with back seats but not many.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

Jim

The problem is the compliance is only for two seats... As long as you find A way around this... I cannot see the problem? But honestly? Just buy a TT If you need the seats!! Sure it's not quite the same but its practical and faster!!! :D

Archived