Fire Extinguishers

myred911

Greetings all,

As I prep my car for the PCV event @ PI next weekend, I checked the fire extinguisher (now close to being "out-of-date). Off to the local car parts shops to buy a replacement.

Well!

Most of the .9kg models are now made in China!

The latest build date I could find was May 2013. That basically means that I lose 8 of 24 months of currency.

Has anyone else experienced this or can contribute to the discussion.

Cheers

rEd

Hi OZ,

Yr right about the re-check and re-tag, the CFA have been offering this service at PCV events for a few years. - all credit to them.

My point really is that the imported extinguishers (in this case) are already well into their currency period before we even get to use them.

To any drivers competing this year a check on the build date pressed into the cylinder is worthwhile. In this case the date was stamped on the lower part of the cylinder, others I have seen are stamped on the neck.

My older extinguishers get relegated to the workshop. Hopefully never to be used in anger

rEd

Hi OZ,

Yr right about the re-check and re-tag, the CFA have been offering this service at PCV events for a few years. - all credit to them.

My point really is that the imported extinguishers (in this case) are already well into their currency period before we even get to use them.

To any drivers competing this year a check on the build date pressed into the cylinder is worthwhile. In this case the date was stamped on the lower part of the cylinder, others I have seen are stamped on the neck.

My older extinguishers get relegated to the workshop. Hopefully never to be used in anger

rEd

Ok, with you now.. and this check is more a pressure cylinder check then, because I have seen checks done on portable extinguishers in aeroplanes and it is a visual inspection and reweigh to confirm the weight (contents) are in tact.  These are BCF though.

This is what CAMS have to say about this.

One issue with these extinguishers is that the powder tends to settle. The CFA re-tagging is really confined to ensuring the pressure is within the working limit and the date is OK. They may give the bottle a quick shakeup too.

The cost to replace is minimal, the failure to do so possibly catastrophic and the peace of mind worthwhile. The real point here is that the imported extinguishers present a "use-by" issue.

rEd

Did the Bunnings, Supercheap & AutoPro up this way, lucked out on anything with a later build date. Sheesh!

Might have to come to the big smoke to buy one.

"Big smoke" ??? Is that a fire extinguisher pun?

& yes the powder in the extinguishers does settle especially if installed in a moving(vibrating) vehicle, recently one of my truck drivers pulled over to assist a motorist whose car was on fire, got the extinguisher out, pulled the lever & Pfffffff, nothing!!! Turns out you should take the extinguisher out of the cradle every 6-12 months & turn it over a couple of times to stop the powder settling & getting compacted.

"Big smoke" ??? Is that a fire extinguisher pun?

& yes the powder in the extinguishers does settle especially if installed in a moving(vibrating) vehicle, recently one of my truck drivers pulled over to assist a motorist whose car was on fire, got the extinguisher out, pulled the lever & Pfffffff, nothing!!! Turns out you should take the extinguisher out of the cradle every 6-12 months & turn it over a couple of times to stop the powder settling & getting compacted.

Had to work hard on that pun. Glad someone picked it up.

Archived