Replacing suspension bushes

Caledonian

A few threads on the web re this ; get an angle level ($10 from Bunnings or similar) to ensure you return the car to normal ride height ; Work on a level surface , take your time. My old bushings were pretty stuck in the torsion tube even though there was no rust. Using a tyre lever I smacked myself in the face and tore my nasolabial fold apart. That is what not to do. 

So carefully lever around the perimeter. There is not much room to move though.

I replaced runner with rubber (Elephant).

Make sure you set the ride height adjusting bolt in the middle to allow for small adjustments after the suspension settles. You will need an alignment too. 

RSP2.jpg

RSP3.jpg

Thanks for the pics and also for the OH&S advice as i'm quite allergic to pain as it has been known to make my eyes water profusely and cause me to shout profanities uncontrollably :)

On the technical side of things, did you get your spring plates re- plated  and if so was it expensive ? I did find a few threads on the subject and the Elephant Racing ones do seam to come up as a popular choice.

I've got some Turbo Ties rods to fit an wdas wanting to do both jobs at the same time so i only had to get the one alignment done.

Cheers

Mike

While not a 911, I recently replaced the same bushes on my 944 with the Elephant Racing Poly Bronze kit.

Easy enough to do as long as you have basic hand skills (taping). I replanted the spring plates.

Cheers

Greg

On the technical side of things, did you get your spring plates re- plated  and if so was it expensive ? 

No , mine were painted black so I stripped it off , scoured the surface as clean as I could and clear coated. It's not concourse , of course , so it doesn't have to be expensive!

Once the inner bushes removed from body check & clean torsion tube cups and torsion tube. If suspect the repair can be a PITA. Though I recently came across a straightforward solution made by fenn lane motor sports.

As tazzieman says read all the threads. it is straightforward enough. Make sure you have all the parts on hand or renewed and have fun.

With turbo tie rods if you need the thin spanner tool I have it. Or it can be purchased off amazon for approx 55 delivered.

I'm about to put my front & rear back together - hallelujah !!!

Archived