Wing Fitment - Deck Lids & A little oopsie

Russ

Thanks to Theo I got the wing I bought today

so in my excitement after work I got home and pulled the deck lid grille off. To my surprise I found some IMPERIAL nuts on some of the bolts under the grille and I accidently dropped a washer down behind the fan (whilst expressing my disgust at imperial nuts on a German car and throwing them out of the garage)

Is it worth taking the CIS off to find it? I assume it's never going to go anywhere (I watched where it went, straight down behind the fan and no where near the intake)

Also, some of the bolts don't have holes to in on the decklid - is anyone aware of any differences between an SC and 77 decklid?  There are some holes to drill but some of them line up with anything...

thanks!

It doesn't take much to loosen the fan/alternator assembly and pull it rearwards to get in under the shroud. Remove fan belt. Use the tool in your kit. Loosen the strap. Undo a few screws on the shroud and possibly the coil bracket. You should be able to move the fan enough to get in. The wiring will limit how far you can move it. There isn't much in there except the alternator. You don't want the washer getting inside that. If you've dropped the washer through the fan it will be below the alt. so you're safe there. It's probably just sitting on top of the case.

thanks harvs!

it fell on top of the fan shroud just below the intake, and rolled down it probably ont op of the case - I agree that I don't want it going into the fan!

I must buy one of those fanbelt tools too

so based on the below image, i'm not going to be too worried anymore (it fell down ontop of the shroud, and all those holes have hoses into them so it'll just be down there sitting on something i'd imagine

Pic12.jpg

i was going to detail it last time it was out - but figured i had better things to do

so I've worked out I need to drill holes half way down the deck lid like the 930 wings- i guess i'll be buying another decklid too!

Personally i think a ducktail on a targa looks so much better, but you can look at over 100 pages of Targas with various tails at the Bird in THIS THREAD

Go on drop the motor to find the washer, you know you want to do it :-)

LOL

Oh Oh you could steal Marti's deck lid and do this  :lol:

RyansSC10784609071089810822.jpg

that does look good I must admit, but I like this wing. new plan is to get a second deck lid and fit and paint it to that and swap deck lids when I want.

also talked to Ted and Steve at TD Automotive re the washer this morning and apparently they find stuff people have dropped down there all the time, it'll just sit there until I rebuild the engine (or fall out during some massive cornering lol)

If I find another type of Carrera wing, some of them bolt directly to the grille on the engine lid - I was sorta hoping for this when I bought mine

good result!

PS. and sorry PabloAU, forgot to get pictures of your car (it was looking good though!)

Archived