Retrofitting Power Windows

Russ

Has anyone done this?

My car is never going to be a race car, and I'm going to keep it forever so I was thinking electric windows would be a nice luxury

I've had a quick Google and there doesn't seem to be much info out there. I can't imagine it'll be too hard once I get some electric window regulators, motors and some cabling?

Anyone got any hints? or have done it themselves?

I did this once on a '75 Celica back in the early '80's when power windows weren't standard equipment and considered an a luxury item.  Back in the day you were able to buy a generic kit to replace manual winders.  It was pretty expensive and a PITA to fit - a lot of mod behind the door card with limited space and in the end it didn't really look that good, it looked very much after-market.

I don't have much memory now because I tried hard to forget about the experience - LOL

I'm thinking a retro-fit these days would be easier because the motors would be smaller and more reliable but because power windows are now considered 'standard' no-one probably sells kits so you'd likely have more success buying used parts from a wrecker.

Lol i hate those Mechano style kits! I'm planning on making it in original style like and SC and onwards (so getting all the genuine Porsche stuff and fitting it)

I used a SPAL kit on the rolla and it was pretty easy to fit. Not sure if still available but they were better quality than most kits on the market back then. More expensive too(back then) but still not a lot of money and priceless in a car with no AC. Still available on fleebay it seems click here

Has anyone done this?

My car is never going to be a race car, and I'm going to keep it forever so I was thinking electric windows would be a nice luxury

I've had a quick Google and there doesn't seem to be much info out there. I can't imagine it'll be too hard once I get some electric window regulators, motors and some cabling?

Anyone got any hints? or have done it themselves?

You may be able to get a later Targa owner with pwr windows to swap with you. I am sure the wind up windows are much lighter than the power units.

If you use original parts you may have to take the doors off the car to retro fit the power leads between the door & the body. There are the typical Porsche plugs between the two but they are a mongrel to get at with the doors on. Good luck. 

if the retrofit ones are like the ones in my doors then the spal kit will be a truckload lighter and I dare say easier to wire up. I had mine for about 15 years and the new owner has had them for a few years too now. all trouble free.

Archived