removing windows... is there a trick?

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi,

I have to replace the door/window felt on the window runner and therefore have to remove the passenger side window.

As removing windows are always a PITA... I wondered if someone out there whom has already performed this wonderful taks might have a few tricks on how to do this ?

regards

steve

While i've never tried it on a 911, you should be able to replace the felt "U" channel rubber/guide with the window in place.

I would recommend removing the door card to get access, and do any necessary adjustment of the window frame. 

So this is basically what you do:

Drop the window down to the bottom (fully open) pry out the old seal (a spray bottle with soapy water or similar is handy here) from the rear of the window frame and just pull it up (sometime these can have a dab of glue) once removed then move to the front and too the same.

With the seal out clean up the channel in the window frame and spray with the soapy water, make sure you orientate the new seal correctly and start to slide it down the front of the window channel (the door glass will move to the back a little to help with this going in).

Now you do the same with the rear part (plenty soapy water) it will be tighter an if you get it most of the way down then it gets stuck, try lifting the door glass and see if you can pull it down from the bottom.

Unfortunately it far easier to show you than write about it.

Once you get it in you may still need to adjust the frame/and or regulator if the glass is too tight going up and down due to the new seal.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Mike

put window 1/2 way down

remove outer scraper molding by gently prying up

take off the door trim

one bolt the bottom of the centre rail(6mm hex)(access thru speaker hole)

take out plug top inner edge of door,take out 2 bolts(6mm hex)use magnet,if you drop these they're a bitch to retrieve

take out 2 plugs back of dor 2 bolts up top,1 down bottom(6mmhex)

one bolt just below vent window(5mm hex)

slide the entire window frame up

pull out old channel put new on in,no glue necessary,not reg adj' necessary

adjust frame to door gap done

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hepkat63

put window 1/2 way down

remove outer scraper molding by gently prying up

take off the door trim

one bolt the bottom of the centre rail(6mm hex)(access thru speaker hole)

take out plug top inner edge of door,take out 2 bolts(6mm hex)use magnet,if you drop these they're a bitch to retrieve

take out 2 plugs back of dor 2 bolts up top,1 down bottom(6mmhex)

one bolt just below vent window(5mm hex)

slide the entire window frame up

pull out old channel put new on in,no glue necessary,not reg adj' necessary

adjust frame to door gap done

Massive thanks....this worked flawlessly :)

Archived