Tyre Profile

Red3.2

Hi All,

have just taken wheels (Fuchs) off my 87 3.2 to get them refurbished and new rubber, more than likely Bridgestone RE001,

Question being the hand book states original profile was 195/65 R15 front, 215/60 R15 Rear,(7 & 8s).

can any one enlighten me as to why the higher profile front. tyres on at the moment are Yokohama A509

205 & 225/50s which i have been happy with but are no longer available.

if the higher front profile is a benefit i am thinking of going to 205/60 225/55 as it also give me more choice

in tyres.

would appreciate your feedback

cheers

Steve

Red3.2

Red 3.2 on the same size wheels, and after much delving and consulting of Porsche forums and my Porsche Performance Handbook, I fitted RE001s in 205/60 and 215/60 respectively. Ride and handling both improved considerably, with less front end understeer and a better ride at the back than 225/50(Falken ZE326). Good on the road and quite happy with them at Sandown sprints too. 60 profile allows the shocks to work properly also.

Cheers

Paul M

Red 3.2 on the same size wheels, and after much delving and consulting of Porsche forums and my Porsche Performance Handbook, I fitted RE001s in 205/60 and 215/60 respectively. Ride and handling both improved considerably, with less front end understeer and a better ride at the back than 225/50(Falken ZE326). Good on the road and quite happy with them at Sandown sprints too. 60 profile allows the shocks to work properly also.

Cheers

Paul M

Thanks for that paul, i will go for the 60 profile but 225/60 on rear.

cheers

Steve.

• 7 months later...

A 195/65 R 15 will give you a tyre diameter of 634.5mm

A 215/60 R 15 will give you a tyre diameter of 639mm

The "profile" is measured in a percentage of the width, so just because it has higher "profile" it doesn't necessarily mean that the tyre will be taller.

I hope this helps??

Thanks Phat Bug, how about the diameter for 225/60R15 and the respective circumferences. And the bigger the circumference the taller the gearing and slower acceleration, right?? I worked on the principle that if the tyres have more or less equal rotational speed, the more likely handling would be balanced ( excluding other factors). What do you think? Certainly feels like my handling is more neutral.

Cheers

Paul M

A 195/65 R 15 will give you a tyre diameter of 634.5mm

A 215/60 R 15 will give you a tyre diameter of 639mm

The "profile" is measured in a percentage of the width, so just because it has higher "profile" it doesn't necessarily mean that the tyre will be taller.

I hope this helps??

Ahhhhh.

Never knew that.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

Archived