Help needed on fixing door pockets

SteveF

I am going to have a crack at straightening and recovering my door pockets because they rub against the door rubber when closing the door, to the point where the drivers door rubber has split. I suspect that eventually the door card will eventually need recovering but this is the first step. One little project at a time.

I have removed the passenger side pocket and old vinyl with a heat gun (my wife's hair dryer when she wasn't looking). I heated up the area I want to straighten and clamped it to some timber. I will leave that overnight and see if that works. If all good I will do same in other areas.

Before I recover it what would you recommend I give it a clean with? Methylated spirits?

I think I will recover it in a similar black vinyl to keep the same look. Any suggestions on where to purchase this? An auto trimmer or somewhere like Bunnings?

I imagine I will need some special glue. Any suggestions? Anything else?

Thank you

I'm certain one of the guys on here re-did there's already with pictures, by wetting the cardboard first and then drying it in a jig. I cant seem to find the thread tho

Thanks Clutch-monkey for the information. The door pockets are in pretty good nick but if I bugger it up I may need to speak to you about your spares.

Hey Russ, I found the thread. Thanks for letting me know.

I just to need to source some vinyl now.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested I was given a contact for an auto trimmer from Bob Whyms. He recommended contacting Lincoln at Prestiage Link in Botany. I spoke with Lincoln and he was very helpful with costings but I can't comment on the work as I haven't used them as yet. Will probably get them to do my headliner. Bob mentioned that Lincoln has done a fair bit of work for them in the past.

Archived