Interior lights and door switches

pocketscience

The 3-way switches for the two interior lights are supposed to offer 3 modes - off, door, on. However with mine the centre "door" position is effectively the same as "on" - i.e. the lights never go off when the doors are closed. This is for both left and right light switches. Are the door switches a known failure point?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Yes, I've had to reattach the wires to my door switch / drivers side. Specially if someone twists them the switch the wires are prone to come off. Be careful when removing them the wire like to fall back in the door.

Cheers Al

Mate Graeme just emailed me, he doesn't have pics but he said the following

you have to unscrew it without twisting the pin or the wire harness will twist as well

So hold the pin with some needle nose pliers while undoing the outer part. Twisting the pins is how the wires get broken off usually in the first place.

Cheers Al

I might chime in, I had the same problem. They are ground switches so they turn on once grounded.

I took the lights out and cleaned the contacts and also the metal in the car. I also put a bit of solder onto the copper part in the light that touches the car metal. I then removed the door switch and cleaned this.

Since then they have worked perfectly.

Kris

Ok I though I would tackle this today and have had some success. After removing the door side switch I noticed a bit of corrosion build up on the contact points. I cleaned them off and viola! Switch is working again. The problem is that did not fix my lights not turning off. I realised that the dirty switch would cause the lights not to turn ON. Scratching my head I thought I would check the bonnet and decklid lights and switches. Bingo! My bonnet switch was not turning off the light. I disconnected the switch and light and my interior lights are working perfectly. I think i must have a split in the switch wire somewhere as I could not find any problems with the switch. I dont really need that light so I will just leave it unplugged for now. Hopefully no more flat battery too!

Archived