PP'S Wayne Dempsey on IMS

This article came my way this morning from my PP email subscription. 

As PP customers I can only assume that many of you have read or are going to read this article but I thought it may be worth posting on the PFA to throw it into the mix of IMS discussion anyway for others that do not have as much technical involvement in their vehicle.

Many of you are aware that I am not a Dempsey fan but his knowledge of Porsche and Porsche related matters through his book/manual writings and ownership of PP the company is beyond reproach and therefore his writings are worth attention.

So in that light I have attached the following link for those that are interested.

Dave 

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm?utm_source=pelican_porschenewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140416

good read thanks for posting

I had in the back of my mind a 996 and DIY'ing the IMS fix until I got to "checking camshaft timing" not something I imagine that you'd want to make a mistake with!

some of those images are gob smacking, I'd probably go further than just taking the sump off myself. from the below picture you have to wonder at least where the other ball bearings are!!! (let alone the swarf from it grinding out the bearing shell!)

Pic048.jpg

We need a IMS Sticky I think... put all the IMS info in the one post.  Then we can all post it in the same place, direct newbies to it etc

What do we all think?  I'm happy to help collate it if needed.

This comment has nothing to do with Daves thread here either, just something I've been thinking about for a little while.  I know I started a few IMS threads when I joined PFA and many of us do when we get the terror IMS chills - but after awhile, it gets a bit  "oh no here we go again"  maybe a sticky with all the info in it would help this syndrome?

Archived