Russ

argh, so I'm in the process of doing my plugs - but I've got a few questions:

• They're gapped at 0.8mm, the handbook with the car says to gap them at 0.7mm - Should I bother? does anyone else bother? I assume it's not going to make a huge difference (I'm still running original CDI for the time being)

• Does anyone torque their spark plugs into the head? I'm always worried about stripping threads on air cooled engines (I've been doing the old 'get it tight and go a quarter turn to crush the washer')

• What combination of sockets do people use? I've got a Repco set and use a universal joint, with the 90 degree as an extra bit of length and then the captive spark plug socket - I'm having a real prick of a time with cylinder #1 - it's like there's a lip on there the combination is catching on - I read in 101 projects there is a craftsman branded spark plug socket with a uni joint in built (but it's been impossible to find here) - maybe a shorter short extension is the go (the standard one I can't get in there)

Thanks in advance! I got my coil changed tonight and 3 of the plugs done before I lost interest (which coincided with dinner being ready and some good TV being on)

I did the plugs recently and found this tool extremely easy to use, much better then trying to mess about with socket sets and extensions.

I just used an allen key once I had the tool in place. Easy job!

5AF7C8C6-ED3E-4570-8816-9545364F25DC_zps

210B247D-C6B4-4D5F-AA44-A27A5A541AD7_zps

I don't have that spark plug tool either, I used a 3/8 wobble drive extention with no problems (your welcome to borrow )and yes i did torque them but I'm not changing plugs every day and as you mentioned they can strip with a little too much enthusiasm.

Plug gap,hmmmm not sure if that would make much difference, what were the old ones gapped at?

amazing difference, more power and better response! idles properly too - THE BEST BIT! my 4900RPM miss is gone! and I found the washer I dropped into the engine bay when I was taking the decklid grille off!

the old leads disintegrated as I took them off (and I'd been told by a few different people they looked fine, and I thought so too) there was some slight confusion about the firing order as I discovered the cap I'd ordered had a crack in it :( but thanks to Caledonian's SMS picture help I got them in the right order.

thanks to tk111 for the suggestion of the tool to use, and  911oclock and Caledonian for the lend of tools today (I must get one of those spark plug tools - they are the best thing ever for changing plugs they make a difficult job easy) 

tomorrow I've got a few heater hoses to change and the airbox straps to do too - they're currently all soaking in hot water to soften them up so they'll fit on

Archived