This way back to Sydney is cool

Mossgreentarga

My first post.

Sarah and I took the Hume (boring zzzzzz) to Vic. The return trip was planned though (In Melbourne Oct'09 for the Salvador Dali exhi... cool). Left Melb for Omeo (know where we're off to hey!). Exit Bairnsdale after picking up supplies to find a road with no pothole, no idiots and no more rain. So much fun, Victorians have it so good when you know you for certain you can let your car have its head. Omeo, good, accom, good, sleep goooooood. Poor Targa had to sleep out though, more rain predicted. Had to seal the leaky bits with gaffer tape from the local shop (fluoro green on black looks like a crime scene ha ha....).

Anyway, the next day was too good. The Great Alpine rd with just a hint of snow left was sensational. Poor Sarah had started to get car sick at My Hotham so things were not too animated thereafter. The Kiewa Valley was a flat bit of fun as well as the Murray Valley Hwy. We decided to cross the Murray at Jingellic and as soon as we were in godd ol' NSW, the potholes started. Any, so ends the fun stuff. Mind you, after being well rested and fed in Holbrook, we made it home to the SYD in an unbeatable PB.

20c worth...

Melbourne - Orbost - hang a left - FANTASTIC logging roads through to Bonang (best on a Sunday) - on through to Delegate and Bombala - then pick up the Monaro Hwy and hook it over to Bega/Princes Hwy up the coast (ish). Don't forget to drive the Sea Cliff Bridge at Clifton! ...and on to SinCity...

Paul? 'Fess up - whats you secret road?!?! :P:)

Kerry

Paul,

I can't find anything west of my route that doesn't end up going through Delegate. Clearly you're not talking about the Monaro from Cann River, maybe you need to share your 1937 loggers map with us! LOL! :P

Kerry

Should have inserted a comma after no. Yep you,ve got it. The old Cann Valley (now Monaro) Highway from Cann River to Bombala. It's a beautifully engineered curvy and climbing road, used by all the bikers from NSW, on their way to Phillip Island. 80 k's made for Porsches and Cooper S's with some tempting straights. Then,if coming from Victoria,when you hit the main street in Bombala instead of turning left at the roundabout and going over the bridge (Monaro Hwy), go straight ahead, east, on the Cathcart/Mount Darragh road to Pambula and Merimbula. A little narrow in places but good for heading to the coast.

Of course, the quicker way back to Sydney from Bombala would be Monaro Hwy to Cooma, Canberra etc. A Porsche Club or PFA run one day perhaps?

Cheers

Paul M

Archived