Non Australian delivered (out of UK)

PeterP

Folks,

Has anybody on the forum had experience in purchasing a non Oz delivered car? I have been advised that whatever you save on the purchase you'll probably spend on getting it back to a good standard. I know he's right, but god its frustrating waiting for the right Oz car to come along. Be interested in peoples experiences.

cheers

Peter :D

• 2 months later...

Hey I am based in London and I am going to bring my 993 back with me to Sydney... not to sell but just so I can keep it... forever :)

I would say there is nothing wrong with buying UK versions... especially if you have all the history. The roads are pretty good over here and I think the big benefit is the lack of salt air, so rust should be less (although depending on where it lived, up north they salt the roads in winter so there is still as risk)

Anyway... I think if you find a good UK version... grab it!!! (I think you might pay more for insurance though)

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hey Peter,

I recently bought a Hong Kong delivered car that seems to be a great buy, however due to a misundertanding with the Dept of Infrastructure and the RTA, I have just found out it needs to be engineered to get rego here in NSW. That means it may possibly need side intrusion bars installed, child restraints, inertia reel seatbelts in the back, all sorts of shit I didnt count on.

All this can be avoided by buying an OZ delivered car, but you will be paying about 10K tp 15K more for that pleasure. They are hard to come buy I know, but if you can wait I would.

Peter,

I'm in the process of importing an '86 3.2 Cab from the UK (goes on the boat next week). The challenge with any cold climate cars is simply their rust condition - while we all know about gal bodies, a 25 year old car may have significant unseen issues.

Despite this I went ahead and purchased my car over Christmas, had a complete PPI, and then I'm having some work done to the car in the UK (clutch etc). The costs are interesting (all amounts in AUD, and excluding the $1k of clutch work):

Purchase $18,000

Shipping & insurance $3,700 (in a container not RORO)

Duties and taxes $3,800

Aust costs (wharfies, agent etc) $2,600

Compliance (budget) $2,000

Registration (NSW) $1,500

Total $31,600 for an immaculate 120,000km car.

Compliance issues are side imact bars (not a problem on cabs and targas as they have them from factory, but seemingly a problem for Coupes), rear seat belts (ADR4d is quite specific, and I don't have a final solution on this one), rear child seat tether bolts, and emmissions (mine is a Dec '85 build so shouldn't be a problem).

Hope this is of interest,

Rob

post-396-129979707271_thumb.jpg

post-396-129979708174_thumb.jpg

post-396-129979709446_thumb.jpg

Peter,

I'm in the process of importing an '86 3.2 Cab from the UK (goes on the boat next week). The challenge with any cold climate cars is simply their rust condition - while we all know about gal bodies, a 25 year old car may have significant unseen issues.

Despite this I went ahead and purchased my car over Christmas, had a complete PPI, and then I'm having some work done to the car in the UK (clutch etc). The costs are interesting (all amounts in AUD, and excluding the $1k of clutch work):

Purchase $18,000

Duties and taxes $3,800

Compliance issues are side imact bars (not a problem on cabs and targas as they have them from factory, but seemingly a problem for Coupes), rear seat belts (ADR4d is quite specific, and I don't have a final solution on this one), rear child seat tether bolts, and emmissions (mine is a Dec '85 build so shouldn't be a problem).

Rob

Hey Slocs, I might contact you next year when I start the organisation to bring mine back with me. I'd love to hear any tip/tricks you have learned from the process. I am bringing back a £26k 993.

Cameron, if you're bringing it back as a personal import (which you must be given it is a post Jan 1989 car), the compliance process is very easy - essentially so long as it's roadworthy you're good to go!

Very happy to help in any way I can.

Regards

Rob

Peter,

Purchase $18,000

Duties and taxes $3,800

Rob

Hi Rob,

Looks like a great vehicle. Did you go over and buy yourself? or online. How did you find the person to do the work?

regards

Peter

I have just bought an 84 Targa (Ex HK) that needed to be engineered as it was brought in under the "15 years or older" scheme. You mentioned side impact bars...mine apparently doesnt have them, so they need to be welded in to meet ADR requirements. Not a big deal though, seems it can be done for around $500 and doesnt damage the paintwork. Thankfully thats all the car needed to pass, already had the rear child restarint holes in the back parcel shelf (under the large speakers), but there none the less.

Your car looks great, how long has the process taken you?

Hmmm, interesting on the door bars - I wonder if it was just the UK targas that had them (seems unusual though).

My process has been reasonably simple. I'd been looking for either a 924 Carrera GT or a 3.2 for a few months (edit: a bloody 924 GT has just come up for sale! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2559756.htm). I finally found the 3.2 over Christmas, and bought it after PPI etc on 21 Jan. I've actually bought it from an Indie, who is also doing the work for me (RPM Technik). I applied for the import approval on 3 February (the Department of Infrastructure publish their turn around times on their website - when I applied it was 25 WORKING days). While they were processing the app I arranged the container through a Sydney based company called Cargo-online ( http://www.cargoonline.com.au ).

I told them that I expected everything to be arranged by about the 15th of March (import approval etc), and also gave this date to the workshop to complete the miscellaneous work that they're doing for me.

Hopefully (and I should receive confirmation today), the car was picked up by Kevin from Auto Movements yesterday ( http://www.auto-movements.com ) and is being driven down to Southhampton today, and into a container by the weekend.

Then 38-46 days later it should arrive in Sydney!

In the meantime I've arranged an RTA approved engineer (the list is here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_15_engineering_signatories_november_2010.pdf ) and I'll spend the next few weeks ensuring I have all of the documentation to support ADR approval.

When the container arrives I'll drive the car from Port Botany to a public weigh bridge, get a weight ticket and then to my local mechanic for a pink slip - this will enable me to get an unregistered vehcile permit. The RTA has advised this is the correct way to do this. ( http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/importedvehicles.html ). Somewhat bizarrely I've been told to get a pink slip before a blue slip which technically isn't possible... Having the unregistered permit will allow me to move the vehicle around between designated points (mechanic - engineer for example) without having to have it towed. The RTA also said if I had any questions I should direct them to the Highway Patrol as they're the ones who will be giving me a ticket for driving an unregistered car!

I've then got to finalise the engineering certification, have the blue slip issued, then get it registered.

Hope this all makes sense, and I'm more than happy to share my experiences!

Regards

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I have imported a 1987 911 Carrera S cabrio and am trying to get an ADR compliance check for NSW. I am happy to share my expereinces with everyone else.

At the moment the engineer that is doing the compliance is doing some background research on what needs to be done.

I have fitted the child restarint anchor points in rear. I am not sure if the rear seat belts will comply. I have seen some correspondence on this at the following site

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/new-zealand-australia/595684-adr-compliance-experience-rear-seat-belts.html

I would welcome commenst from others.

Mike

Mike, the good (or bad) news is that I'm one of the posters in that thread!

I've had the removable rear seat belts installed in my car in the UK (the car is currently on the boat), but like you I'm unsure whether they'll pass ADR4D.

I am interested in the child anchors though - were they a hard thing to fit?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Folks,

Be careful (do the research) with compliance, and an extra caution about the old A?C gas that is illegal to bring into the country.

It can be expensive to re-gas (not a simple job.)

Hi Rob

Nice looking car you have there!

I'm not sure if you have air conditioning but here is some info

There is a website with some information on importing cars with air conditioning refrigerants.

www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.html scroll down to section 7.

This should clear up any air con refrigerant questions.

A replacement refrigerant for your air con would be HR12 from Hychill or SP34E, these refrigerants do not require changing the 'O' rings (depending on leak test) or changing the existing mineral oil in the system.

Frank

Thanks Guys - fortunately (or not) my car doesn't have air con, so discharging the system isn't a problem.

The car goes onto the NYK Oceanus today in Southampton for shipment to Singapore, then transhipped to Sydney arriving about May 9.

Rgds

Rob

Thanks Guys - fortunately (or not) my car doesn't have air con, so discharging the system isn't a problem.

The car goes onto the NYK Oceanus today in Southampton for shipment to Singapore, then transhipped to Sydney arriving about May 9.

Rgds

Rob

Looking forward to you getting it out there!!! best of luck. I'll be doing the same in 2 years bringing my 993 out.

Slocs,

Bet you can't wait. Just to keep you drooling here is the ship and its current position.

Ya baby is in that white container right on the front.

Back to work...

Regs

rEd

Now that's a good site!

That ship is huge, at 336m isn't that the same size as a US carrier?

Rgds

Rob

• 4 months later...

Rgds

Rob

Hi Rob,

Did you buy your car privately or from a dealer?

How did you find your car? Pistonheads website?

Any other UK websites where one can look for a Porsche?

Would I be right to assume the road tax in the UK can be canceled/is refundable?

Does anyone kno what the typical road tax cost per year over there?

Cheers

Hi Rob,

Did you buy your car privately or from a dealer?

How did you find your car? Pistonheads website?

Any other UK websites where one can look for a Porsche?

Would I be right to assume the road tax in the UK can be canceled/is refundable?

Does anyone kno what the typical road tax cost per year over there?

Cheers

www.paragongb.com/

www.911virgin.com/

There are a few others

If you check out 911uk.com there is often discussion about cars the come on the market.

I'm Australian living in London and going to bring mine back with me when I come home.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

I looked at a couple of UK imports and they did look fantastic from the out side but at closer inspection there were not what they seemed.There seemed to be hidden rust and some of it poorly hidden too,which sent the alarm bells ringing cause the owner said there was none.I was warned offg imported porsches from the UK and America by a particular car insurance company so it took me about 3 years to find the one ive got which is an 85 carrera targa Australian delivered factory right hander fantastic condition and noooooooooooo rust.

This is just my experience and may not reflect the opinions of others but I wouldnt like to see anyone ending up having their dreams smashed by buying a s#*tbox.When buying a Porshe theres no substitute,wait and get a good one.

Phil

There are administrative hurdles to importing cars but, there are certainly mechanically worthy examples to import. I have imported an 87 944 Turbo from the US to Australia and it didn't have a spot of rust (Texas Car). I am presently in the UK and with a 99 996 that I plan to bring home, it has no body rust at all but there was surface rust on some of the exposed steel suspension/exhaust hardware. Having said that it was not significant and not difficult to rectify. When I was last in Australia I happened to buy an Ex UK 944 Turbo, it also did not have rust issues, the main dramas with that were various suspension bolts that were frozen/corroded, those could be difficult to get undone the first time around. That car required some brake lines to be replaced according to regency park in SA. It was superficial stuff but you cant argue with them so I replaced the brake lines.

One thing I would say about UK cars is that the wheels are often rubbish (garage queens and well loved examples excepted of course) and in need of being refurbished so factor that into the budget.

Archived