Carrerra Cup Phillip Island 24 &25 May

Airhead

From the Press release today.

Porsche Pro-Am attracts Australia’s elite
Australia. Porsche Carrera Cup Australia is preparing for one of its most anticipated events of the season as several high-profile drivers are confirmed for the Porsche Pro-Am at Phillip Island on May 24-25, 2014.
A selection of the country’s top drivers will join Carrera Cup in the co-driver races; including V8 Supercars’ Scott McLaughlin, Dale Wood, Tim Slade, Nick Percat and Jason Bright, who will re-join the Ramsay family racing operation.
Bright was a former driver of Malcolm Ramsay’s Biranna Racing Formula Holden team, where he was teammate to Brenton Ramsay and won the coveted CAMS Gold Star and Australian Drivers’ Championship in 1997.
Almost two decades later, Bright will line up alongside Elite Class driver Brenton Ramsay at Phillip Island in the Ramsay-owned Phenix Motorsport.
“I’m going back to an earlier point in my career with this team. It’s great catching up with all the guys I worked with 17 years ago in Formula Holden and I’m looking forward to racing with them again at Phillip Island,” said Bright.

“It looks as though it is going to be a great field at Phillip Island with a lot of talented drivers coming into the category. I’ve heard great things about the Carrera Cup round at Rennsport last year so I’m looking forward to the coming Phillip Island event.”
Stephen Grove has secured the talented McLaughlin for the round, Wood will again pair with James Bergmuller, Slade will return to his old team Sonic Motor Racing Services pairing with Carrera Cup newcomer Adrian Mastronardo and last season’s championship runner-up Percat will team with Shane Smollen.
Other Elite Class drivers confirming talented co-drivers include Ash Samadi, Tony Bates and Roger Lago; who have secured former Carrera Cup front-runners Jonny Reid, Dan Gaunt and Dave Russell, respectively.
The impressive driver line up extends to the Professional Class regulars, headlined by Craig Baird and Max Twigg – the respective Professional Class and Elite Class champions for the past three seasons, who will line up as the most experienced combination in the field with a cumulative 94 round starts.
The next most experienced duo will be Carrera Cup’s most capped driver Marc Cini and the 2008 runner-up Dean Fiore, who have 92 round starts between them.
Championship points leader Warren Luff will again team with Geoff Emery while Steven Richards and Sam Power will race with former Elite Class pace-setters Damien Flack and James Koundouris, respectively.
Two Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia drivers have also been enlisted for the event: Michael Almond will compete with John Karytinos and Tim Miles will join McElrea Racing teammate Renee Gracie.

The Porsche Pro-Am will feature two 60 minute races where each Carrera Cup driver must pair with a non-Carrera Cup racer; Professional Class drivers are to race with a non-regular Elite Class competitor and vice versa.
Each driver is permitted to complete a minimum of 25 minutes in each race and perform a driver change during a compulsory pit stop. The finisher of Race 1 must then start Race 2.
More Carrera Cup co-driver pairings will be announced closer to the Phillip Island round of the Shannons Australian Motor Racing Nationals.

Archived