Targa v Coupe

PeterP

Hi Peter, well good on you for posing the question. No matter the differences of opinion, it just shows how passionate Porsche owners are about their cars. If you find one you like, and in good condition then buy it. And don't discount the 944 etc, nothing wrong with them. It's all a balance of condition, provinence and price. But be warned Porsche ownership is a lifelong disease.

Cheers and let us know your eventual outcome.

Paul M

Hi Peter, well good on you for posing the question. No matter the differences of opinion, it just shows how passionate Porsche owners are about their cars. If you find one you like, and in good condition then buy it. And don't discount the 944 etc, nothing wrong with them. It's all a balance of condition, provinence and price. But be warned Porsche ownership is a lifelong disease.

Cheers and let us know your eventual outcome.

Paul M

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I have to say its great to get all the feedback and opinions. To me, buying one of these is a life long dream, so naturally I want to find the best possible. Whilst I have been sorely tempted by an SC, I have decided to take my time and find the right mid 80's Carrera. So we wait, look and hope to find a good one.

cheers,

Peter

Well I am going to add a little balance. Just over 3 months ago I bought my first Porsche, a 2001 969 Cab. It is absolutely brilliant, and I am far from a hairdresser!! To each their own, I love soft tops, and an electric one that opens/closes in 20 seconds is pretty much spot on. I have the roof down any chance I get, and I reckon the average guy (like me) would struggle to really pick the difference in chassis stiffness, even as a cab they are a very well sorted chassis. To me Porsche don't make a bad car!! Couldn't agree more, buy what you enjoy.

Peter, something to inspire you, scroll all the way down for lots of photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Porsche-911-RSR-look-/260713864634?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb3c1ddba

Paul M

Hi Paul,

Well, thats what I call dedication to selling your car !! What a sensational photo journey, and brilliant result.

Oh well, I keep looking......

regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Actually being the owner of a 964 Targa here is my view on the car. :huh: (non hairdresser's view....darling :lol: )

Yes, the roof leaks. My seals are 20 years old, at that age why would'nt the seals leak...? (sort of like my other seal, hahahaha):lol: The roof leaks maybe 1 or 2 drops every minute in a heavy down pour but only when the car is stationary and the leak is just near the top corner of the draught window. When under way, no leaks... The car moves like a bullet, rain will not touch it!!! :lol:

Road noise, well no different to any other car, the Targa roof is insulated with a lining. Plus the idea of a 'top off' car will involve, strangely enough... 'road noise' :P Top down surround sound is something only a Targa or Cabriolet can give you!!

I read in someones post that security is an issue with the Targa roof. The roof is not a simple rag top, it has aluminium plates in fold up sections which are very solid and therefore not easy to simply tear open for access to the cabin. Plus I think we all have car alarms on our cars so why the concern?

As for the chassis rigidity/stability... This comment I read in a post made me laugh, when I go to a track day and see how many, if not all coupes have strut braces under the front hood!!!! :huh::lol: The Targa has a reinforced chassis to compensate for no roof and a roll over bar for safety, not that a 911 will roll on to it's roof, unless you drive it off a cliff.

The head room in the back seat for the kids is about 40mm higher due to the angle of the window and as a kid years ago in the family 1973 Targa the view through the back window was pretty cool.

I bought the Targa beacause I have great childhood memories of flying down the German Autobahn in one. I always liked the style, the open air drive (it's incredible to hear and smell the surrounding environment and road noise at speed!) something you cant do too well in a coupe. Mechanically it is still the same 911 as a coupe.

If you are ever on the Peninsula, PM me and I can take you for a quick spin.

My simple recommendation is to buy what grabs your enthusiasm.

Hi Peter

Actually being the owner of a 964 Targa here is my view on the car. :huh: (non hairdresser's view....darling :lol: )

Yes, the roof leaks. My seals are 20 years old, at that age why would'nt the seals leak...? (sort of like my other seal, hahahaha):lol: The roof leaks maybe 1 or 2 drops every minute in a heavy down pour but only when the car is stationary and the leak is just near the top corner of the draught window. When under way, no leaks... The car moves like a bullet, rain will not touch it!!! :lol:

Road noise, well no different to any other car, the Targa roof is insulated with a lining. Plus the idea of a 'top off' car will involve, strangely enough... 'road noise' :P Top down surround sound is something only a Targa or Cabriolet can give you!!

I read in someones post that security is an issue with the Targa roof. The roof is not a simple rag top, it has aluminium plates in fold up sections which are very solid and therefore not easy to simply tear open for access to the cabin. Plus I think we all have car alarms on our cars so why the concern?

As for the chassis rigidity/stability... This comment I read in a post made me laugh, when I go to a track day and see how many, if not all coupes have strut braces under the front hood!!!! :huh::lol: The Targa has a reinforced chassis to compensate for no roof and a roll over bar for safety, not that a 911 will roll on to it's roof, unless you drive it off a cliff.

The head room in the back seat for the kids is about 40mm higher due to the angle of the window and as a kid years ago in the family 1973 Targa the view through the back window was pretty cool.

I bought the Targa beacause I have great childhood memories of flying down the German Autobahn in one. I always liked the style, the open air drive (it's incredible to hear and smell the surrounding environment and road noise at speed!) something you cant do too well in a coupe. Mechanically it is still the same 911 as a coupe.

If you are ever on the Peninsula, PM me and I can take you for a quick spin.

My simple recommendation is to buy what grabs your enthusiasm.

Hi Frank,

thanks for the info.I think you're right, I will know when I see the car.........Did you have your car at the display at Fed Square last year? I seem to think I have seen it somewhere.

Anyway, thanks Again,

Peter

Hi Peter

I have been to Fed Square only as a spectator. A great display of toys!

My car has made a couple of appearances in the PCV magazine though.

Obviously being a Targa it is automatically elevated to a supercar superstar status. :huh:

I am however still waiting for the Topgear boys to call me so I can bring the Targa to their studio for their supercar track test review and obviously to be placed in 'The Fridge' on the 'Cool Wall', apparently the Targa is The Stig's dream car! :lol::lol:;)

Well, enough of this silliness.

I like Paul M's Ebay find of the restored 911. What a car! It looks like the owner must spend all day polishing it with a cotton bud!

Anyway, enjoy your search Peter, it took me about 6 months to finally get the Targa in the driveway.

You will know it when you see it!

Archived