Targa v Coupe

PeterP

Folks,

Currently looking for a Carerra mid 80's, and had a coupe in mind. Interested in peoples thoughts though,regarding targa v coupe from an investment perspective, and also to live with (are Targas notorious leakers...)

Appreciate peoples thoughts,

regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Coupe, coupe, coupe!

Think not in terms of an investment as that will distort your thinking about your purchase and remove the "fun factor" from the P. experience.

If you see yr P. car purely as an investment you will be forever be mindful of the wear & tear, and exposure to risk when you are driving the car - if you are game enough to drive it on the street.

my 2c worth

rEd

Coupe - stronger, more comfortable, more secure, no water leakage from the roof, better shape, no contest! Unless you like driving on balmy nights only.

There is a yellow 2.2 Targa at Brooklands Classic Cars in Cheltenham, reasonable price- been there for more than 2 years, if you want to try one. Then go to the Healey factory and drive a coupe. Should make up your mind for you. Could be provocative and say Targas and cabrios are for hairdressers - better not.

I agree with myred911, buy what you want and desire not what you consider an investment.

I have seen people come and go in the sports car scene for 40 years now and so many starstruck day trippers have had their dreams so shattered when the bills start rolling in.

Many have done well out of buying the right car at the right time but most have to pay for the pleasure so you better make damn sure that you get what you really want rather than something you think of as an investment.

For me a Targa or a Cabriolet doesn't measure up but we are all different aren't we.

I'm Coupe all the way but after owning many convertibles over the years I'm well over the joy of sitting in an open car in blistering summer heat, but hey if you haven't had one maybe it is just what the doctor ordered.

Buy what you want not what other people think you should want.

Dave

Everyone,

thanks for the feedback......confirms exactly my thoughts. Let me add this is not primarily an investment,more the fun factor. I am buying this because I intend to become totally obsessed by Pcars. In fact have already advised the wife of the need for a multi car abode at our new place !

A coupe is what I want, and thats the focus. There are a couple of possibles in Vic at present that I will follow up.....will keep you all updated.

Peter

Folks,

Currently looking for a Carerra mid 80's, and had a coupe in mind. Interested in peoples thoughts though,regarding targa v coupe from an investment perspective, and also to live with (are Targas notorious leakers...)

regards

Peter

Peter, all I can say is that the targa (old style) has been hit by the ugly stick. The 911 has that beautiful side window and gorgeous roofline...without that, it's all out of proportion. The only decent traditional Targa I've seen was an early 70's chrome bumper car in white with chrome and leather ski racks...great looking car (with stainless roll over bar). I think I liked how period it was. Late model targas though I think are different and a 993 or 996 targa are very usable and don't loose the 911 line. I think buying an 80's targa would be a terrible investment too...apart from being ugly. You have to look at the market and understand where the value is. A coupe will be more expensive to purchase, but in the end you'll actually be able to sell it for reasonable money. I've owned a boxster since new in 2001 and have just recently bought a 993S manual. I could have sold my Boxster and Lexus Rx350 and bought a new 911 cab, as I love a convertible (and have to have one) and maybe got a run around cheap car...but then the new 911 convertibles are in my opinion ugly. So I kept my pristine speed yellow Boxster...which is a great convertible, kept the Lexus and bought the classic (won't loose any money) 911S. Certainly a better financial decision. My advice would be to buy a lovely Boxster S manual...what a wonderful car or buy a 993 Targa. Now having a Boxster and a 993 I feel that I am able to offer an opinion. I was putting one of my life size car graphics up at Lorbeks (a porsche 911RS) last week and they had a really nice red 996 Targa with 44Ks, I think a 2004 model...It was only in the high $80K's. I thought what great value. I might have some people really disagreeing with me here...sorry.

Dean

Peter,

Having offered my 2c worth and read all the other responses, all I can add is that do not be swayed by opinions of others. make your own mind up. After all it is your money Ralph.

Coupe or Targa it is still a Porsche. Whatever set of P. wheels you buy you still get the "point and shoot" handling, the raspy exhaust and the good cheer from other P. fans.

Good luck!

rEd

Hi Peter,

I agree with Red's last comments above. As a water cooled / Cab owner I do tend to notice the slightly tribal atmosphere that can grow with any debate of this nature. Agruements for the coupe are strong, no doubt, but then start to way up how important these things are to you and campare how important other aspects of driving are to you. For myself, having a bit of sun on the shoulders is very important. I was happy to give up the purity of a coupe and the 5% performance to be able to enjoy what was important to me. Porsches are meant to be enjoyed. Don't think too much about investment (if this is a priority buy some shares, not a porsche), don't think too much about what gives you the most 'cred' amoungst porsche owners. Buy a good, well looked after car that will make you smile every time you drive it.

My 2 cents...

Andy S

Folks,

regards

Peter

Lets come back to the original question for a moment shall we?

Peter asks for peoples thoughts "regarding targa vs coupe from an investment perspective". Considering Peter had "a coupe in mind" and then based on his leaking observation, it looked like he had already made up his mind but sought some investment advice.

I love the look of the targas, and have in fact recommended their purchase to a couple of friends who are looking for that "type" of experience, however from an investment point of view, I don't think anyone would argue with the notion that coupes hold their value better.

As I have said to many of you in the past, "Porsche don't make a slow car", and any of the Targas are exhilarating, fabulous drives, but lets not get caught up with PC from us coupe drivers, the original question was quite clear, and as per my first response, quite simple.

So there! :P;)

Kerry

Kerry has rounded us up to keep us all on topic.

From my blinkered perspective I didn't buy my SC & S2 as investments, I did so because of an irrational decision about Porsches. While both cars are notable in their own sphere they are hardly going to make me bucks when/if I sell. These cars are sometimes driven hard, sometimes in a competitive circumstances therefore the best I can ever expect is that I get my money back or find another poor soul like me to pay a premium.

The cost of that folly is ongoing maintenance (plus a few extra bits). The money spent to maintain the SC & S2 would hardly called a good investment. Do the sums - total investment in an SC & S2, say $55k. Put that money in fixed deposit or shares and I will see my piggybank grow. Add to that the $s I spend on maintaining my indulgence and the piggybank looks even better. What is missing from the cars -V- shares equation is the enjoyment I get from owning/driving/maintaining my cars. That is my investment!

As of today carsales.com.au have 7 911 SC Targas for sale price range $26-33k and 16 911 SC Coupes $16-$66k. The cheapest car is an auto left hooker and the most expensive is an RSR rep. If we exclude these 2 cars as not really representative, my gut feeling is that prices for these models have not changed much over the last 3-4 years. Possibly this reflects :-

• the stability of the Australia market (GFC factored in)
  • the supply of decent cars.

My 3c worth...

rEd

I agree with Red in that you should not consider a P Car as an investment in terms of a money making venture.

I will always rememeber the story my mechanic told me. He said that in 1973 the very collectible 73 RS sold new for about $17k, about the same price as a single fronted house in Hawthorn that he was looking at. 37 years later and he is servicing a 73 RS left hooker that just sold in the $300k's. You are probably looking at around $1m +/- for a single fronted house in Hawthorn.

But in terms of fun and anjoyment you could look at the P car as an investment; where if you buy a good car at a reasonalbe price you can probabaly sell it for around the same price later on, and the interest/return/yield comes from the fun and enjoyment.

My 2p worth...

I agree with Red in that you should not consider a P Car as an investment in terms of a money making venture.

I will always rememeber the story my mechanic told me. He said that in 1973 the very collectible 73 RS sold new for about $17k, about the same price as a single fronted house in Hawthorn that he was looking at. 37 years later and he is servicing a 73 RS left hooker that just sold in the $300k's. You are probably looking at around $1m +/- for a single fronted house in Hawthorn.

But in terms of fun and anjoyment you could look at the P car as an investment; where if you buy a good car at a reasonalbe price you can probabaly sell it for around the same price later on, and the interest/return/yield comes from the fun and enjoyment.

My 2p worth...

I beg to differ Doug... I bought a car which doubled in price in 3/4 years. Admittedly it is a rare case, and I can't claim genius status as a vehicular investment guru, but I do call that a pretty fair investment. What it'll be worth in 37 years still won't be as much as a house in Hawthorn however I'd still prefer to have the RS...

I think that investment in a car is measured in quantities other than financial, and we all know that what we "get out" of these cars is fair more important than what we sell them for... however, it is easily possible to recover initial outlays given prudent selections to start with. I refer to the original question...

My 846 Rp worth...

To Chirp in with my newbie 1c worth.

I think you investment perspective should draw thought to the model and type of 911 you are looking for, many will and have said the coupe is better, more sought after from a rigidity/ performance stance but it will come down to how rare the car is before it comes down to Coupe/targa.

So in straight terms I'd take stab at a mid 80's SC coupe being worth less than a similar vintage/condition Carrera targa.

For that matter I can tell you my 77 Carrera 3.0 Targa is never going to be worth what it's coupe brothers are worth.

So investment in all cases is demand over supply, find a Pcar that is sought after and not a dime a dozen and is the right price, buy it.

Targa v coupe, I wanted a Targa, I wanted a Carrera, I wanted something pre 80's, somehow, I ended in a perfect storm and my car fell out of the pages of carpoint.com and after a flight to QLD and a fantastic drive back to Melbourne she was mine.... I didn't have investment in mind but would say she'll do better than a mid 80's SC Coupe.

Could be wrong about all that, I look forward to seeing it on the road what ever it is you pick up.

The other thing to remember is switch in your mind that goes when you get behind the wheel of these things, and I'm talking before you turn her over... just the view, the road framed by the two front guards..... might sound crazy but my point is you will need to sell the car to reap the rewards of investment...... and that view will start the seed of "I'm taking this car to the grave".

As I said newbie opinion, hope I haven't offended any mid 80 SC coupe owners, you should know I love them all....

Cheers

Trav.

Jeepers....!!!

I didnt mean to start such a debate..........how did we get from Targa V Coupe to a single fronted house in Hawthorn?

Maybe my original email was worded incorrectly (I can see how wars start !!)

Anyway the use of the term investment, may have been a bit flippant (oops), what I meant was IF I managed to find the right car it would be good (over a 5-8 year period) to see it increase in value, regardless of maintainance etc....it is for fun.

This does beg the question though, if I managed to find a 73 RS in the garage of a single fronted house in Hawthorn....how would I be travelling ???

Folks, again I do appreciate the feedback, and the coupe is the target.

Regards

Peter

• 1 month later...

Archived