Magnum PI Porsche 928

tazzieman

Those of you of a certain vintage may know these facts , or at least be mildly amused.

You probably know Tom Selleck is above average height ; 6ft 4"

Thus , his head pokes above the windscreen of the Ferrari 308 , despite them removing seat padding and bolting the seat as far back as possible. 

He would fit easily into a 928 , or a 911 for that matter.

When they scripted the show , set in Hawaii , they wanted Magnum in the latest and greatest sports (yes sports/GT ) car. Which was a 928. Unfortunately this does not photograph well from the air , or indeed show the protagonist's giant iconic moustache. Porsche were approached but refused to build a one-off targa version (which would have significantly reduced chassis rigidity ; not good in chase scenes ) plus they didn't ant to set a precedent for special wishes. Mind you , they would have had a bundle...

So the producers went with the Fezza 308. And how many of those were sold to PI wannabes? You'd be a brave guy today to drive one without a heel raise and bushy mo'!

Anyway Tom knew a good car when he saw one and bought a 928 for himself. And after one of the series , bought 3 more for certain film crew. And being a generous chap , bought 200 Rolexes for all the crew at another time. All bought individually from shops in Hawaii to boost the local economy. (Can you see that happening in Oz?)

In one episode which I can't recall , he gets chased by some hoods in a 928, which not surprisingly makes the 308s handling look rather ordinary. Add to my list of trivial shows to chase down...

In real life , ol Tom actually owned a 928 ; some pics here

Where is he now , and I wonder what he drives?

tom-selleck-136384562565710401-131030173

http://home.bt.com/images/tom-selleck-136384562565710401-131030173210.jpg

Archived