82 930 speedo

rangiegaz

I'm having trouble with my speedo and about to jump out of a high rise. The speedo checks out well on bench and has power and earth . The impulse sender tests ok . Followed connection diagram ,but still no go. Was working intermittently then stopped (like loose wire) ,but nothing shows up. Have two lots of brown pairs of wires ,one red and black pos. ,one green and the two impulse wires. From what I understand one of the impulse wires is connected to earth and the A terminal is for cruise and is not used on mine. Any suggestions gratefully received. 1982 930.

rangie, I had all sorts of trouble with mine recently, 964,

two stints at reputable Porsche centres and still failing 

sent it to a old guy Richard in Sydney, hes a genius and wont give up till its fixed

hes in yowie bay  02 95244131

if you run into a deadend in vic, then I cant recommend him highly enough

oh and he was about 1/4 the $$$$ of others and was fixed

good luck hughesy

Had it checked out, and as I said the bloke had it running on the bench for twenty mins. no prob. Tested it myself with power to it and all good. Convinced it must be the wiring somehow but can't find right combination,

Helps a bit, but hard to see all colours of wires. All brown ones seem to have red stripe like impulse sender wires. Do you think there are three wires going to gold connector (two earths and one impulse) then other impulse and earth to earth terminal.? Wires to lights , pos. and impulse wires no prob. ,but can't tell what others are or where they come from. Thanks for input.

Did a search and found this post

Re: speedometer wiring/stuck pointer fo my own
la

I took the speedo out on my 82targa and looked at the wiring:

starting from the left when looking at the back of the speedo on the smile shaped connector mine is wired as follows:

left most terminal(it has markings but I can't see what they are, I believe it is the ground)4 wires connected: brown/red , brown , a single connector with 2 brown wires attached

2nd terminal from the left no markings - 1 wire: brown/red

3rd terminal marked "-" 2 wires: white , black

4th space- no terminal,no wires

5th(far right terminal) marked "+" 2 wires: red/blue , red/black

also there are several lights plugged in

hope this helps.

You bloody Ripper!!! Thats the info I wanted, so if it doesn't work, GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD, I'M OFF THE RIALTO TOWER.

SpeedometerWiring12774240311348400051_zp

Same photo as above with an addition note. I don't know the significance of this is, just hope it avoids more grief.  

• 1 month later...

Righto

Have connected all wires as shown and checked same. Showing 12v at terminal ,all earths connected and indicating good earth, showing impulse when wheels are turning .speedo tested and working on bench for 45 mins. BUT still no joy . Any ideas apart from give to expert, because I hate to be beaten. there must be a simple explanation that I haven't  been able to twig.

Archived