Not a bad 24 hours on the 964

twood

I had a new windscreen installed last Tuesday - the old one was cracked. You know, one of life's little pleasures is a new windscreen- you just don't realise how scratched and chipped  your old screen was until you get the new one in.

The screen has the radio aerial in it so I spent some time connecting the aerial, running power to the booster and generally tidying up the wiring. I now have the full range of FM and AM stations, not that it makes much difference as I normally only listen to dear old ABC anyway (Sign of age?). 

While there decided to hook up the reversing camera. Everything went well and I can now see what I have backed into.

The cruise control has not been working since I reinstalled the motor last year after a top end rebuild. Checked the wiring behind the whee, itl is easier if I removed the steering wheel. Ahh while there align the steering wheel - my wheel has the yellow ring at the top and it really annoys me when on a straight road that yellow ring is not vertical.

All the wiring looked okay so decided to check the micro switch on the clutch pedal - this was the problem. The switch, when you pressed the clutch pedal, did not come back far enough to close/open the switch. Quick modification and all is well.

So:

1. New windscreen 
  2. Radio all working
  3. Reversing camera working
  4. Steering wheel aligned
  5. Cruise control working

Test drive, washed and polish car - all ready for "Coffee and Cars" tomorrow morning.

Nothing can go wrong. HAH!!

I think that was a pretty good 24 hours even if it did take over 12 months to get around to doing all the jobs.

Oh yeah. Sorry to be a distraction!

I look at my heavily pitted (non OEM) windscreen and fantasise about getting a new one with the antenna in it.  But then I'll need to remove the antenna on the fender. And then I'll need to do the panel work to fix the hole. And then the paint probably will not match. And then that means I'll have to respray the whole car. And then...

I hear you about the steering wheel.  My 'yellow line' sits at about 11:30.  Oh-so annoying.   So off it comes again...

Why am I telling you all of this.

Empathy.

Good work!! Now I feel like I should go do similar!

Oh yeah. Sorry to be a distraction!

I look at my heavily pitted (non OEM) windscreen and fantasise about getting a new one with the antenna in it.  But then I'll need to remove the antenna on the fender. And then I'll need to do the panel work to fix the hole. And then the paint probably will not match. And then that means I'll have to respray the whole car. And then...

I hear you about the steering wheel.  My 'yellow line' sits at about 11:30.  Oh-so annoying.   So off it comes again...

Why am I telling you all of this.

Empathy.

Good work!! Now I feel like I should go do similar!

It is a slippery slope that we walk-the never ending project.

Of all the jobs the one that will be the most beneficial will be the cruise control.

I think we should stop calling them "speed" cameras but rather "lack of concentration" cameras. I do not of anyone that would purposely speed through a camera and cope a fine. The other thing I love are the signs that say " speed camera are for road safety". I have never seen a speed camera that stopped a accident.

Yes.  In my other cars I use cruise control to set my speed. But I do live in Canberra; the least evil 'city' in Australia when it comes to speeding.

On the 964, I thought my cruise had failed a while back - I found out that the little coupling on the throttle had popped off.  Fixed in 10 seconds and everything was 100% again...

Archived