82 SC Brake Rotors Advise?

John82SC

Hi all,  need to replace all the discs.  Any wisdom out there on replacements?

planning on staying with the stock setup, mainly to keep costs down.  Although, haven't entirely ruled out an upgrade.

Any advise appreciated.

J

Haven't had to put new one on my 911, but I bought some DBA slotted rotors a few years ago for my 5.7L Adventra.  They seemed to make a moderate difference to the stopping capability, but they appeared to stay flat for longer, and a bit less fade when towing my boat down long hills.  Used them on other cars as well and have always had good results.

When I eventually need some my my SC I will probably get the DBA ones.

Standard SC brakes are accepted to be more than adequate . Unless you are a dedicated racer.

Cross drilled "look cool" but I did extensive research and the consensus of knowledgeable opinion was there no significant benefit over slotted for street cars.I have replaced all discs with solid and have no complaints ; I drive in the wet and I hit the track , though not 1 on 1. Few sane family-oriented people do!

My 928 just got grooved discs , but I ordered solid. Ah well.

Pads? define your use and choose accordingly. I want mine to work from cold as I live on a steep hill. And I detest brake dust.

Front pads for my 928 "supercar" cost $79. It stops on a dime.

I used standard brake  hoses on the 911. Stainless on the 944 and 928 , and I think they give a slightly crisper pad feel, but it's probably placebo. Nobody ever sees them but maybe they withstand the gravel on my local roads a bit better?

Thanks guys,  gotta love a response that includes "I did extensive research".

I've virtually no experience of actually driving my car as I bought it broken, apart from a sneaky quick spin, running on 5 pots and, ironically, with 3 of the 4 brakes binding..  so this is just the info I'm after.  sounds like stock setup should be fine then, maybe with stainless hoses so it'll 'feel' better.

Cheers

Archived