Wiring help 84 to 86 carrera owners

ozracer

Wondering if anyone can help me with a question. im cleaning up some wiring under the dash and have stumbled across two wires that i need to find a home for they go from the back of the ignition switch plug to the centre of the car. One is yellow which i believe is switched power for the radio the other is yellow with a red tracer. This wire was taped up inside the loom it looks factory put i have no idea what it appears to have been used for. Can anyone with an early carrera stick their head under the dash and see if they have the same. I posted the same on the pelican forum but am thinking it may be an extra wire used for sound system or something specific to oz as it runs on the same branch as the radio wire. I know stereos were fitted in oz so not sure what they used from factory wiring.

Heres the link for pics.......

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/826499-help-me-find-homes-these-wires-84-carrera.html

Help most appreciated........

I had a look in the wiring diagrams. There doesn't appear to be a yellow with red trace, unless they put trace before main colour.  Yellow seems to be for audio power.  Is it ye/re all the way back into the plug?  I couldn't attach it for some reason.  If you need a copy pm me your email & I'll send it to you.

Oz,

Same in my '85 and are there to supply the stereo. One is powered all the time and the other works off the ignition switch - I can't remember at the moment which is which but I guess it's about 6 weeks ago since I wired in my stereo.

I can scan and post a wiring diagram from my work shop manual later today if you wish.

thanks guys so it was for the stereo interesting glad I know now. yes the wires go all the way back into the plug.  This yellow with red trace was actually taped up and hidden. the car had an aftermarket sony stereo with a pioneer 6 stacker. I think the cars originally were fitted with audiovox in australia and I have a book for it in my records so I believe its been changed at some stage during it life.  Ive removed both and going to fit a blaupunkt later but wanted to tidy everything up.  

Thanks for the offers for wiring diagrams but i have a bentley and yellow red isnt shown anywhere so thats why it stumped me.

Thank you for all your help.  Peter would be great if you could let me know which one is constant and which one is switched......

I may use the yellow/red if its constant for an alarm system when I fit one. 

......Peter would be great if you could let me know which one is constant and which one is switched......

Oz,

Suggest you just use your test light or multimeter, much more reliable than me. I guess I only have a 50% chance of getting it wrong though...

(Plus I've carefully bundled all my wiring up neatly and can't see which is which sorry.)

Archived