Was ist das "Outlaw"?

Kerry

Hopefully I get this thread back on track..............!

I tend to believe the term 'Outlaw' in this context has just as much association to the Porsche brand as it does specifically to a model, 356 for example. I agree that the term initially came about in association with the 356 but I think it has evolved to include anything bastardised from what most regard as a perfect example of German engineering and design - as only criminals (outlaws) would do such a thing!

The term 'Outlaw' I see used more specifically in relation to a particular style of modding. A more personal and less traditional/iconic rational, less about OEM and more concerned with creating a more individual look/style. If it's offended someone (maybe the purist?) then I'd say its in the realm of being an 'outlaw' as after all associating the term with a specific type/model etc. goes against the point of trying to create something different in the first place, because that's what you were trying to do - build something unique, different - Outlaw right?

Having said that I still see the term as maybe being too broad and we (the extended Porsche community) find ourselves in a unique time where it seems nothing is sacred and popularity towards modded Porsches is increasing. If we look at the modified motorcycle world (sorry to make the comparison but similar in many ways) we have the ever popular (and fashionable) 'cafe racer' genre but within that we have 'brat', 'scramblers' etc. all having their own style/nuances that differentiate them from within their own little biker world sub-culture.

I think the Porsche culture is pretty rich and diverse with owners and we are seeing the fashionable side of our cars now making them so valuable. I hear all the 911 arguments against the 911 but unfortunately the one thing that will never let it be beat is its timeless design appeal, the modifying sub branches are now capitalising on this - they are a very unique car as a standard sports car, and even more uniquely appealing to modify given their history and provenience that just makes the art of it all that more richer.

At the end of the day call it what you want. To me, mine is just another misfit glorified beetle that tries to stand out from all the other red IB 911's out there. Whilst still one of them, hopefully it's seen to have its own way of making a statement in a nod to a Porsche but also with its middle finger stuck up to those who tell you "what you should have done"!

(Insert tire screeching and exhaust bark!!!!!)

Archived