996 disc dust covers

Mike737

Thanks Pauly, did search rennlist but didn't find anything other than them talking about the handbrake covers.

It's part 3 in this diagram.

603-00_996_1998-05.gif

When the aluminium heats it ends up warping onto the edges of the disc which then starts with a subtle sound similar to the sound of a rock bouncing around inside the rim - as I previously spoke about on the SMT last time. Once it really heats up and then cools down it's constant direct contact producing a constant high pitch squeal. The fix is easy as it's just a matter of trying to bend it back with a few hard taps on each of the corners.

It's more annoying than really harmful, but I would prefer if it didn't happen. I guess I could possibly remove them, but I'm not sure what effects it would have.

Thanks Russ.

Found a thread talking about them on Rennlist for 928's (http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/632758-what-s-the-real-purpose-of-brake-dust-shields.html) and what the purpose is but nothing about them on the 996.

General consensus is that they stop debris interfering with the pads which is what I thought. Other theories include stopping water splashing directly onto the rotor as well as stopping brake dust attaching itself to other parts of the car (which I don't completely believe)

Google at least yielded another guy with the same issue http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=86474&page=

TL;DR dealer replaced his covers after it started during a track session which caused a warning light (ditto at last Winton), he thinks they are under engineered.

Looks like I might just leave em on and bang them out for the meantime, but I'll have a chat to Michael from Autoart and find out if he's had anyone else with 996's which have had the issue and if he has the on his track going 996 GT3

they really just keep debris and stuff out of your brakes, I've had cars where I took them off as they were deformed an NLA and never had an issue (and that chuffing noise where they rub on the rotor always got on my nerves)

An AU falcon for example by design doesn't have backing plates and has no issues

Archived