SE QLD Tech Day?

Mentioned yesterday, Scot may want to put the BMW up on the hoist and Nathan wants to do an oil change (don't ask Russ for advice on safe removal of a sump plug) I am happy to put the hoist into position this Sunday and let those that have the need to use it. Other jobs can be done if required.

Post or PM if you are interested - suggest an earlish start, say, around 8-8.30 am so we can go and do other stuff later in the day.

I need to tighten the main oil line that runs from the oil radiator to the engine-there is a 38 mm nut (sits behind the right rear wheel) that connects the oil line and I am having trouble tightening it with my shifting spanner (no room to manoeuvre). If an has a 38 mm  spanner I can borrow for this very simple job it would be much appreciated.

Ken

that nut is a 36mm... at least mine was. I used a 36mm crows foot.

Yes Mike - i think you are correct. it such a pain to get in there whether to measure or tighten-i can get a shifter in there but there is no feel for how tight the nut is and I do not want to strip it.

you can use my crowfoot if you like. i am about to contemplate whether to rebuild my power steering pump or not. Also not sure if my belt has enough tension... what do you think by looking at the photos?

no tension

squeezing the belts...

Mike 

The PS belt certainly looks like there should be more tension than it has. I looked up my prices of parts and the PS belt was USD $34.30

and the PS seal kit was USD $15.95. I would have my old belt here if you need it for comparison.

I did the rebuild on the PS pump not because it was leaking but with the engine out it was so easy and not expensive and would suggest the same.

With regard to the 36mm crowsfoot, yes, I would borrow it as it is the perfect tool for the job. 

Archived