Valve cover gaskets

Dusty

I have to apologise in advance for this question, i know gaskets should never to be re-used but it got me thinking, what happens during a PPI when the mechanic pops the valve covers to check for broken head studs? The cost of replacing the gaskets would consume much of the cost of the PPI so I'm assuming this isn't done?

I ask because I desperately want to open my covers to check the head studs (at least two cylinders are suspect - leaking at the case) but im still waiting for my pelican delivery and when it does arrive, i dont want to waste them now when I'll likely do a top end rebuild over the Christmas break...

The conundrums of being a tight a$&€...

This one will bring up some debate I'm sure :ph34r:

If your gaskets have been on there for some time there may be a risk of damaging the gasket as you remove the valve/rocker covers due to them hardening with the many heat cycles they will have been through, but if they are recent then there would/should be a good chance they will be ok to re-use, as least in the short term.

These gasket are not torqued down a lot so the amount they get crushed is not too bad (assuming they have been torqued down correctly prior), if the PO has used the type with the silicone insert they are apparently re-usable?

I did my 12 month 8K (ish ) Km service and the 1 yr old rocker gaskets were fine and IMO re-usable, in saying that the alloy sealing washers are best replaced to avoid weeps. But at $23 for a complete kit (Gaskets,washers & nuts) I just replaced them.

Nothing wrong with planning and checking what you need and thats not being a tight erse, its easy to waste money on these cars by not doing your research.

I just bought the silicon type on PP which was $44. Somehow I had it in my mind that they were over $100... 

I'm not tight enough to need $24 in savings so I'll just toss them, it's then just a matter of waiting an eternity for the replacement parts to arrive... been three weeks already and my order is still yet to ship (In fairness it was over 24 separate parts with some on back order)...

Yes, I had a bit of a delay with my last order too, like your mine had  a lot of parts and some quite un-common ones I suppose.

I assume you are  giving the car a service but what other jobs are you doing? Will you be able to make the Cars & Coffee this Saturday?

It's unlikely that I'll be able to get down on Saturday... Still nursing the car until my parts arrive and it gets a full service. I also have to drive the family from the Sunny Coast to the Gold coast in the arvo and they dont consider the 911 as a viable method of transport otherwise I could've linked the two. Looks like it'll be a massive event, disappointed I wont make it. 

At present, my goal is to get the interior as clean as possible with some matching front seats, remove the rolled guards (the original sc guards appear to live just under a few inches of bog) and then get to the bottom of the engine. I told my mechanic during his first look that it was merely 'weeping' oil and then had to wait a good 5 minutes for him to stop laughing in my face...! 

I just bought the silicon type on PP which was $44. Somehow I had it in my mind that they were over $100... 

I'm not tight enough to need $24 in savings so I'll just toss them, it's then just a matter of waiting an eternity for the replacement parts to arrive... been three weeks already and my order is still yet to ship (In fairness it was over 24 separate parts with some on back order)...

Next time order your gaskets from James at Autohaus.  Price is similar and you'll get them faster.

Edit: on the topic of cost of PPI for replacing gaskets.  I think for a studs-affected car, 50% of the cost and time for a PPI should go into checking these.  Few other likely things have the possibility of punching a $10-15k hole in your budget.  Even a half-dead gearbox will cost less and is simple for a prospective owner to determine without a PPI.  If you ask me, do a comprehensive check on the rest of the car yourself, then spend the money on leak down and head stud checks.

Archived