New 996 Owner Questions

Marvin55

Picked up my new 996 on Monday. It's as good to drive as I'd imagined, I'm happy as a dog with two tails!

As I bought the car in 'renovated' condition (major faults addressed) there are some trim bits that need fixing and there are some questions I'd like to pose.

Second Key? I can't see a better alternative than paying a dealer $680 for a new key (complete) as the dealer has to program the remote to the car.

Porsche diagnostic tool? There seem to be a lot of cable and software packages on eBay but I'll just bet the support is as good as the price - cheap. I'm considering the Durametric Enthusiast Kit from http://www.durametric.com/, seems to do the job for a fair price.

Anyone have any experience with this or any better suggestions?

Cheers

Congrats on the purchase.

You can pick up a spare set of blank keys off ebay and get them re-encoded and cut. I know a few of the US guys have done this. I'm in a similar situation myself as my single key is on the way out.

Not sure about the diagnostics kit.

I bought a cheapie diagnostic kit from ebay, just to try it out.  It reads all the sensors and settings okay.  I haven't tried to do any 'resets' with it.  Also, it wouldn't activate the OBC as I was hoping, but it's fun to play around with.  Only buy it if you're just playing around.

You can pick up a spare set of blank keys off ebay and get them re-encoded and cut. I know a few of the US guys have done this. I'm in a similar situation myself as my single key is on the way out.

I bought a pair of key blades from https://keysinthepost.com/ in the UK. It was 32 pounds for 2 key blades, cut to a photo, guaranteed to work. Compares favorably with AU$ 270 each blade from a local dealer using the vin. There are reports that the blades can be duplicated if you have the blank, but none first hand.

The key head (remote) is a bit trickier, there are 2 frequencies used, 315 MHz and 433 MHz. Both are used by various manufacturers in Australia. For a 996, Europe is 433, USA is 315 and Australia is probably 315. I have seen several conflicting reports about the Aus 996 frequency, my key head is worn smooth but I imagine I can see 315 on it in a bright light...

Then, you need the unique code for the key head, or it can't be programmed. This kills off most of the used ones on eBay, they just don't have this info. The key head is AU$ 320 from a dealer, I'm going to gamble on a US one and see if it works.

Then there's the programming; a dealer can do it, or Hamilton's can do it, but they need the vin in advance, as they have to apply to Germany to get the appropriate code for your car.

Moral of the story: don't wait till your only key breaks! I expect this will take me 2 or 3 weeks but I'll probably save ~$400 on the dealer price.

I bought a cheapie diagnostic kit from ebay, just to try it out.  It reads all the sensors and settings okay.  I haven't tried to do any 'resets' with it.  Also, it wouldn't activate the OBC as I was hoping, but it's fun to play around with.  Only buy it if you're just playing around.

I think I'll stump up the US$300 for the Durametric, most of the eBay cheapies use hacked, old versions of Durametric software anyway and one of the things I really wanted to do was activate the OBC. Durametric guarantee this function is available in the current version, and I'm also interested in some of the other data that's in there.

We'll see how it goes when it gets here.

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't expect this car to be cheap to own but with some advice and research, it won't be too bad.

I have Durametric tool. Does most thing it says it will do.

I also have a key remote not working. After some time researching, came to the conclusion that only the dealer can program a key remote to the car. It would be nice if Durametric tool can do it.

Hope you enjoy your 996.

I have Durametric tool. Does most thing it says it will do.

I also have a key remote not working. After some time researching, came to the conclusion that only the dealer can program a key remote to the car. It would be nice if Durametric tool can do it.

Hope you enjoy your 996.

Can you program the 'comfort' options like winding down the windows on unlock with the Durametric?

• 1 month later...

Archived