Additional Oil Cooler (Left Fender)

BlitzKonig

Hey guys,

Just in the process of installing an additional oil cooler in the left passenger fender. 

Im running a '95 993 3.6 in my 74 Carrera and only have a single oil cooler. For street and weekend driving, the cooling capacity is sufficient, however I want to start hitting the track and so I need the additional cooling.

After a long hard debate with myself, Im keeping the standard carrera front bumper. I dont really like the look of the IROC front bumpers and while I wanted to go to a RUF front, I would just be searching too long until I finally find one. 

I realise that you can get an additional front fender cooler kit from Elephant racing, but I cant allocate that many funds to something like this and Id also like to see the challenge involved in it (Im sure Ill regret this statement soon enough).

At this stage, Ive bought a generic 19 row cooler and in the process of making up brackets to mount it first.

Once I have attached it, I will contact a speedflow dealer and get all the fittings and lines made up.

Finally, Ill add a shroud to protect the cooler from stones and improve air channeling.

I also have plans to add 6" (maybe 6.5") electric fans onto the coolers to provide manual cooling boost, in instances like being stuck in traffic or on cooling down laps/staying in pits.

Ill add up some photos as I go, but thought it might be an interesting DIY for future records. 

This might have been handy before you bought it, but I bought one of these when the AUD was above 1:1 to USD. It's been great and was cheaper than buying a separate oil cooler and making mounts and buying lines - you'd still need to run lines from the other side though i guess

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1582/Mocal_Porsche_Oil_Coolers

MOC-KITB.jpg

This might have been handy before you bought it, but I bought one of these when the AUD was above 1:1 to USD. It's been great and was cheaper than buying a separate oil cooler and making mounts and buying lines - you'd still need to run lines from the other side though i guess

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1582/Mocal_Porsche_Oil_Coolers

MOC-KITB.jpg

Yeah I saw this as well Russ. I currently have late style radiator type oil cooler on the right fender. The cooler set be back only $60 and the bracket <$50. I would have loved to just buy the Mocal brackets, but havent had much luck in finding the single item. I agree, lines are going to be costly, but as you said, needs to be done either way.

Evo,

When you consider that a stock 993 only runs one cooler in the RHS guard with a fan I wouldn't get to carried away to soon.

Though the 993 then also had more efficient cooling ducting and the cooler properties as different (larger and thicker, from my understanding therefore side mount and not front facing). I just figure, while I have the front off, I may as well do it once and properlly, the fans and relays arent costly. 

Archived