987 Boxster Hood issues

TwoHeadsTas

I've noticed that the driver's side edge of the hood hasn't been fitting correctly behind the plastic parts that go around the curved part of the window - been like this (occasionally) for the last couple of months. Tonight I noticed a Spectra core rope attached to some thin elastic shockcord was showing on the passengers side, so I'm thinking perhaps this rope is supposed to attach to the drivers side hood to keep the edge nicely tucked in.  Can anyone point me to a good exploded parts diagram so that I might be able to track what has happened.  Also any advice on how to fix also appreciated

Peter

Can't speak for the 987 hood, but I know that there is a cord in the 986 hood, 2003 onwards, which tensions the two sides together and prevents rattles.

It's secured with plastic keepers which eventually distort under the heat from the sun.  Eventually the cord lets go.  I made new keepers out of aluminium  which has fixed the issue.

I expect the 987 to have a similar arrangement.  Try opening the hood partially.  This gives you good access to the cord anchor points.  Can post pictures of mine in due course if need be.

Good luck.

Archived