Shifter coupler refurb.

Harvs11

While on the  VIC Weekend targa, my gearshift suddenly went to crap.  I was having all sorts of problems  finding the right gears.  The cause of the problem was obvious when I opened up the access panel to check the gear shifter coupling to the gearbox.

B4BC94EA-F229-4CF5-8A38-4F0BD80D6696.jpg

The bushing in the coupler had fallen apart leaving a gap.This resulted in the shifter not properly located to the gearbox linkage.

78764a49-bab0-41e4-96bd-1dca6b81f327.jpg

The missing bushing also allowed the linkage to rotate freely within the yoke.

1A0137F3-3466-4638-9800-A9D71CC92D6E.jpg

A koala pack from Autohaus arrived with new bushes today.  First the coupler had to be  disassembled. So not to damage the die-cast yoke, the main shaft needs to be supported while the cross shaft is pressed out.  A 5/8 socket placed thru the yoke was a perfect fit.  

08E99D90-A808-4585-A8E8-95B3BE7CDE50.jpg

Here's how I arranged the tools to press out the shaft using the bench vice. (The yoke is shown removed for clarity)

BEF17671-E75B-4339-B5EA-55EC11132C50.jpg39F062FB-2B8F-4F42-99F4-B4AC91AB3D20.jpg

The new bushes push in easily.  It's then a simple matter of tapping in the shaft.  The yoke is reinforced on one side for support while the shaft is pressed back in.

2D6CA67A-D20D-48AE-8439-916A62788C20.jpg8EB7A871-3A70-4341-BBA6-2163D8A5455F.jpg

Coupler fitted back in place. No more sloppy shifts. :)

3A203878-E925-4565-8B74-D67E88D58C75.jpg

This is a fairly easy job with basic tools.  The parts are cheap and will instantly improve the shifts while helping to  prevent potentially expensive missed gear changes.  I've also got new bushes for the shifter linkage support and the cup bearing for the base of the gear lever. That's a more involved job for another day.

Nice article and pictures say a thousand words.

The other bushes aren't difficult to replace either.

Do you have a short shift already? If not, its a good "while you're in" there job.  If not it will be good practice for when you do.

:)

Great pics -- I've gotta tackle this one soon too. Just adding it to the list of chores!

LOL Thanks, not bad for a poorly lit garage and an Iphone.    

Just get in and do it.   It only took about an hour all up.  If your car is anything like mine, ie 30+ years old with 100 and plenty thousand K's, the bushings will be degraded/cracked/worn and need replacing.  

Nice article and pictures say a thousand words.

The other bushes aren't difficult to replace either.

Do you have a short shift already? If not, its a good "while you're in" there job.  If not it will be good practice for when you do.

:)

Hmmm, short shift.  I have to admit I've thought about it.  One step at a time.

LOL Thanks, not bad for a poorly lit garage and an Iphone.    

Just get in and do it.   It only took about an hour all up.  If your car is anything like mine, ie 30+ years old with 100 and plenty thousand K's, the bushings will be degraded/cracked/worn and need replacing.  

Yup, 38 years old … bless it's little heart. I've got to make a list of bushings and rubbers for all over the place. I'm lining it up as a holiday chore, I'm glad this one's going to be relatively simple.

And how did you go getting that little bugger adjusted properly again. Took me ages to get mine sorted and still not 100% happy with it. Any tricks to the perfect adjustment?

Dumb-arse luck!  

and I followed some instructions found on PP to line up the shifter and also lined up the marks on the spline to get it back in the same place prior to removal.

Next job is to change the gear oil and see what effect that has. 

Archived