tour de tassie

Stew F

Not sure if this is the place to post this. If not, mods please move to the correct place.

We recently completed an 11 day trip in our 911. Thought I'd share some of it with you's. Friday we left home with the intention of staying te night at Ballarat. An easy days driving I thought. Only 590km. Should be able to knock that over in 7 1/2 hours, allowing for lunch stop, refuelling, and the required "other" stops. Plan was to leave around 10 am. So, last bit of packing, and we finally hit the road. At 1pm.

Drove to Tailem Bend and stopped to fill up. 65km. Next stop, Bordertown, for a quick other stop, and stretch the legs. By now it was pretty warm. Up around 35°. Wasn,'t too bad in the car, tho we don't have AC. Next stop was Nhill in Victoria. Into Victoria now and I'm still waiting for the fuel gauge to move off full. Don't tell me it's packed up. Nope, it's working. Just started to move. Stopped ad Nhill to check the oil as I had lost a bit of oil pressure. And for another other stop. All good on both counts. Next stop, Arrarat, for dinner.Temperature has dropped a bit by now and oil pressure back to almost normal. Arrived at Arrarat and found something suitably healthy for dinner. Got out of the car and this bloke says that my RH brake light isn't working. So after our main course of Subway and a Coke Zero I duck over and grab a new lamp. Quick changeover and all working again. Quicker than you can say "While you do that I'm just going to shoot into Woollies and grab some Panadol".

Back on the road again. This unexpected stop was about 40 minutes. Oil pressure back to normal levels again. We arrived in Ballarat about 7.30 pm. So, allowing for the 1/2 hour time difference, we did the 590km leg, with stops, in 6 hours.

Next leg, Saturday, Ballarat to Melbourne.

Maybe we need a dedicated section on the forum where we can post this stuff.  Like Touring or something.

Anyway, Saturday morning we left Ballarat headed for Melbourne.  We hadn't been to Melbourne for a long time.  I'm talking 30 years. So I didn't know what to expect traffic wise, although I had a bit of an idea.  We stopped for breakfast at some BP servo that had the usual roadhouse diner, plus a KFC.  Across the highway was an identical, but with a McDonalds.  You Victorian guys know where I'm talking about I think.  Just before Baccuss Marsh.  Great that they named a town after Australia's all time greates wicketkeeper Sir Rodney (Baccus) Marsh.  Anyway, after brekkie we drove a bit more, then filled up at Rockbank (Werribee) just off the Western Highway.  53.03 litres and 580km (excluding the 65 from home to Tailem Bend).  9.14 l/100km.  Wow, feeling suitably impressed at this stage.

Back on the road again, and into Melbourne.  We thought the first thing to do was locate the ferry terminal.  Got horribly lost.  I have this squirrel in my GPS, and all he wants to do is give directions to shops that sell nuts.  We eventually found the terminal, parked the car, and went for a walk.  Seems a nice sort of area Port Melbourne.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

After our brief walk around to get a drink, icecream, and other stop, back in the car for a look around Melbourne.  We still hade about 5 hours before we boarded the ship. 

After getting horribly lost again (found 6 nut shops in the process) we went to a park to have lunch. It was quite warm, and nowhere for an other stop, so we ended up at a shopping centre and had lunch in the cool.  Victoria Gardens.

I thought if I had any chance of finding our way back to the ship I would need to ditch the squirrel and get someone in my GPS who actually knows where they're going.  Hello Borat.  Well he seemed to know his way around Melbourne pretty well.  Got us back there with a minimum of fuss.

Back at Port Melbourne.  Another short walk around. 5pm - time to get going. We drove into the ferry terminal and then onto the pier. I think we then waited another hour or so before we actually drove into the ship. 

Next stop - Devonport (or Davey Jones' Locker).

Sunday morning we diembarked at about 7.30.  Went and had a nice breakfast at a cafe in Devonport, then hit the road.  This is the part we've been waiting for.  At this stage, other than Pt Arthur & Hobart, we had zero plans.  Do we go east coast or west coast?  We decided, based on reviews from family & friends, that the east coast would be it this time around.  Next time in Tassie we'd do the west coast.  So we headed towards Launceston, hoping to find some hidden gems along the way.  And we did.  Local produce down here is great, like at home in the Adelaide Hills region.  Lots of artisan foods.  Cheese, wine, fruit and of course, mmm, schokolad.

Stayed the night in Launceston at what was probably one of the most outdated parks ever.  Sorry Taswegians, but it was a shocker.  The lady told me it had just been sold and the new owners were planning a big upgrade.  So we pulled up at our ensuite cabin and unpacked.  On the back of having a blown brake lamp on the Friday I got the wifey to check the brake lights.  Sure enough, no brake lights.  After a few tests, a bit of swearing, and a few more tests, I deduced that the new brake light switch I had fitted 6 month ago had givenb up the ghost.  When I previously had no brake lights I bought 2 switches, but only changed 1.  Still, I had the spare with me so I changed it over and abracadabra, brake lights.  Just like magic.

Next day, among other things, we looked around Launceston, t went to Cataract Gorge, then headed out to the Hollybanks Treetop Adventure near Lilydale.  A nice bit of local produce for lunch and then off on our treetop adventure. If you go to Tassie this is a must do.  I have a bit of an anxiety thingy and this really put me outside my comfort zone.  It was amazing.  A series of flying foxes that travel through the eucalypt forest.  At one stage you are zooming along 50m above a river.  The last leg is 400m long, and you can get up to around 80 kph.  It's a bit of a buzz.

After we finished here we headed towards St Helens.  We're quite fond of waterfalls.  A heap of people said we should go to Ralph's Falls on the way to St Helens.  So after finding the turnoff we headed along the 11km road.  The road, that became a nice gravel road, that became a narrow gravel road, that became a rough bush track that you couldn't turn around on, or go back.  We were committed to going forward.  The Leyland Brothers would have been proud of us.  I was hoping that I didn't get a puncture coz I didn't fancy changing a tyre and pumping up my space saver spare at this time of the day.  I needed a beer desperately...

We eventually got to the small carpak at Ralph's Falls only to find a sign that said "RESTRICTED ACCESS". The bridge had been washed away or something.  All we could do was have a little joke about it.  So we kept going, as it was closer to the next town than the previous one.  The road had to get better, right? Wrong.  Still crappy track conditions for about another 5 or so kms.  Then it started to get progressively better, until we found ourself on the best bit of bitumen driving I've experienced in a long time.  Select SPORT mode here.  Nice gentle downhil twisting stretch of about 5km.  It was amazing fun without breaking any speed limits.  Just had to watch out for wallabies and wombats.

We eventually go to St Helens as it was getting dark.  Found some accomodation and headed into town for dinner.  All that was open was a pizza joint.  So we had pizza.

Next morning we fuelled up. 46.8 litres - 440 km.  10.64 l/100km.

Left St Helens and headed out to the Bay of Fires.  What a beautiful spot.  I could live here for sure.  So serene.  Took a couple of photos then headed off.  Today we headed down the east coast.  It's really pretty scenery.  A lot of it reminds me of around Victor Harbor and Granit Island on the south coast of SA.  We stopped for lunch and a beer tasting at Ironhouse Bay.  There is a boutique brewery there wgreat coastal views.  We indulged in a beer tasting and a light lunch.  Because you have to do it since you're there, right?

Off again.  We stopped at various places along the way, took photos and went WOW.  Seriously, this is a beautiful part of the world.

We stopped at Sorell for dinner, then headed off to Pt Arthur, where we stayed for 2 nights.  Accommodation was really good here.  Pt Arthur Villas.  Nice bloke there.  Helped us organise everything for the next day of sightseeing.  It was nice to just chill out with a beer the first night in PA.

Next day we looked around Pt Arthur, then went back and did the ghost tour.  This was pretty good.  Whether you do or don't beleive in ghosts, it certainly gets you thinking.

Following day we went back to PA to finish off the things we hadn't looked at, then headed off towards Hobart.  Did the scenic drive thing again and then headed into Hobart.  Looked around a bit then headed down to Huonville for the night.  Refuelled here.  62.88 litres.  527 km @ 11.34 l/100km. 

Stayed in a B&B here called Walton House.  It is 5 star all the way.  If you travel to this area, and you can get in, stay here.  No affiliation.  It's just the nicest place we've ever stayed.

Next morning, after a tasty breakfast which included amazing coffee and home cooked quiche, we headed south for the day.  Our destination was Tahune Forest Airwalk on the Huon River.  Again, another amazing experience.  We spent about 4 hours here, including crossing the Huon River on a swinging bridge that is about 200m long.  This bit freaked me out a bit, but I knew the next one was only about 50m long.

Had a relaxing lunch in a little picnic area in the forest, then headed back in to Hobart.  Looked around a bit more, then headed to what was to be our accommodation for the next 2 nights.  We arrived and got our key.  All I can say was the accommodation in Launcestion was brilliant compared to this.  Sorry again Taswegians, but it was ordinary.  Oh well, we're just sleeping here.

Next day we just looked around Hobart at a fairly relaxed pace. 

The following day was Sunday. We headed north up the main highway towards Devonport.  We had to be back on the ship tonight.  We did the Convict Trail thing, had scones and coffee at a place where they've restored an old flour windmill (can't remember the name of the town), then headed off again.  Really interesting through this area.  Just out of Devonport we went to another micro brewery called Seven Sheds, which is tucked away in a little town called Railton.  Great beers here.  Grabbed a 3 pack of long necks and headed to Devonport.

While waiting to get back on the ship I noticed quite a number of exotics.  A Lambo Diablo, 2 other IB 911's, a Ferrari and an Aston Martin.  Later, on the ship, after we'd been underway for 1/2 hour or so, they called over the loud speaker for the owner of the Audi R8. They probably just wanted to have a look inside. 

Monday morning we disembarked at 7.30 and headed home.  Fueled up at Rockbank again.  60.54 litres. 546 km @ 11.09 l/100km. 

The trip home was uneventful.  We got home about 3.30 SA time. A more lesurely pace this time.

After final fill up the last mileage was 648km & 60 litres used.  So 9.26 l/100km.

This wasn't intended as an economy trial.  I thought I'd keeps tabs on it just the same as I really thought I'd get more around the 14 - 15 l/100km.  And reliability was great as well.  Other than the brake light switch and globe, the only thing that packed up was the cord from my ciggie plug to my fridge.

So there you go.  If you're thinking about going touring in your Porsche, but not sure, just do it.  It's well worth it.

Night cruises are the way to go. Sleep through the boring transit!

Like I said in the other thread, I'm about to revive the trip planning to Tassie in Oct/nov 2015. If you see any sights or drive any roads you think are worthy please feel free to throw them into this thread:

We didn't get to Burnie, but they say Hellyer Gorge is one of the best. It's part of the Targa Tasmania. They are holding a one m day Targa for rookies there in February from memory.

I believe there are also some great bits of road through the highland lakes area. The loop from port Arthur thru nubeena and back to tarrana (sp.) wasn't bad. Few potholes here and there but generally not a bad bit of road.

Here are some photos.  Not embarrassing unfortunately.

A nice spot to relax. Tahune Forest Reserve

IMG_4724_zpsb8ba21c8.jpg

Huon Valley (Nr. Franklin) - Southern Tasmania

e9f609f5-2aff-42e4-9499-e624a76623d7_zps

Campbell Town Main Street

efc6ee82-e8bf-4e13-a8f3-0511cc9e3b1c_zps

Mersey Bluff Lighthouse - Devonport

IMG_4366_zpsc49bb56b.jpg

She enjoyed the driving as much as I did.  At one stage shes telling me to take it easy (coz she was getting thrown around a bit), but when she was driving it was anything goes... 

Truth is, she's a better "sports mode" driver than me. ;)

Archived