997:Uneven Idle when cold

Orion03

I used this one:

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Treatments/Lifter-Free_and_Tune-Up/#.VW5cJ8-qr5k 

but really the plugs have to be changed sooner then recommended 30K, they are only standard copper plugs not platinums or anything.

Also I think I had the combination of coils, plugs and sticky lifters.

Sticky lifters symptom for me is after a hard rev the car didn't want to idle cleanly

My plugs are fairly new.

My understanding is coils usually trigger a missfire fualt codes if they misbehave. And I only get this code when i simulate a miss fire.

Sticky lifters cleaner on the other hand...wow. The engine is as quite as an empty Brisbane church on the night of State of Origin.

I did not find nulon brand in the local shop thu. So bought Liquid Moly. Cleaner is supposed to take full effect after 14 days of use. It has been only 3 and the rev needle is rock solid. I am impressed.

thanx.

LOL

it's a far cheaper solution then the alternative:

1) drop engine

2) open valve covers

3) remove cams

4) change out lifters ($400 each)

5) replace it all and put engine back in

Yeah... that sounded like lots and lots of $$

I figure that with these "new" variocam engines, there's so much happening via hydraulics, and actually using engine oil for hydraulics is a shit idea, what with the temperature, combustion, carbon etc, and then they put on a super long maintenance period !

So it'll get pretty dirty in those hydraulic channels and the "sticky lifter cleaners" are needed.

That's my current thinking.

I figure that with these "new" variocam engines, there's so much happening via hydraulics, and actually using engine oil for hydraulics is a shit idea, what with the temperature, combustion, carbon etc, and then they put on a super long maintenance period !

Orion03 I've been following your posts for a while. Did you buy the car from Porsche Parramatta? I test drove the atlas grey 997 they had at around the same time. I would hope not to get hit with any large costs soon after buying an approved model.

Yes I got the car from Porsche Parramatta, and yes it came with the 1 year warranty.

I took the car home to Melbourne, and the warranty transferred here okay.

But I have complained about this uneven idle and ECL light many times, took it back to PCM about say 3 times complaining about it.

i.e. I drive normally, then the car hesitates and ECL at the lights.

PCM said basically, oh yes we see the misfire on the computer, very interesting, don't know what it is, and left it at that.

On and on it went until my warranty ran out.

Then wanted to charge me min $600 to change the spark plugs !

Oh yeah at this point it started to get bad so I started to spend $$ with Autoart, near $3K by the end including a new water pump.

So I am NOT happy with PCM, I thought they didn't take the problem seriously and waited for me to run out of warranty.

On the other hand, the car runs very very nicely now and weird flats in the power delivery is now gone ! 

I LOVE this car now. I feel the LOVE again.

I must defend Porsche by highlighting that these problems are on engines +10years old. Still not bad for a finely tuned beast of a machine.

On my engine there is over 2200 house of frustrated/angry/mother in law issues/suicidal tendencise/career not going anywhere driving. And yet all it needed is a bit of vitamin C lean.

I must defend Porsche by highlighting that these problems are on engines +10years old. Still not bad for a finely tuned beast of a machine.

Oh yes of course, it's that these systems are relatively new.... i.e. only now are they hitting 10 years + hence the cures to the problems that come up are "new" to us owners and the mechanics.

Archived