997:Uneven Idle when cold

Orion03

It's been happening for a while now, once in a while my car will develop an uneven idle, and the engine check light will come up.

It's been back to Porsche Melbourne twice and they've found nothing wrong.

Yesterday it happened twice!

Seems to do it when it's cold, and not when it's fully warm.

Ideas?

Fuel injectors?

Spark Plugs?

Coil Packs?

the 997 doesn't use spark plug leads anymore does it?

Time to jack up the car and pull the plugs? are the spark plugs easily reached?

Thanks.

After a bit of googling, I am figuring on changing the coil packs and the plugs, and giving the injectors a good clean.

Try putting a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and giving it a good thrashing (ie. An Italian tune up)

So it suddenly got worse last Friday and the car started running on 5 cylinders...

a few panic calls to PCM, but all the people I know were unavailable. Left messages.

sigh.

Called Michael from Autoart, drove it down to him after lunch.

By this time the car has decided to run on all 6 cylinders again, tank was low so I refilled with BP 98 octane.

He connects the iPad, hey it's wireless connection ! cool

Multiple misfires in multiple cylinders. So not like one bank or anything.

Maybe it was a bad batch of fuel? Injectors?

So after much talk, he sold me bottle of strong industrial strength injector cleaner, $25, I put it into the tank and drove home.

Took the girl swimming, got a call from the wife... some lady driver has T boned my Subaru at a T intersection, apparently the lady didn't see my big grey subaru liberty and just drove out into the side. No injuries but the car is badly damaged.

Sigh, had plans to drive off to Torquay that night!

Put poor Liberty in garage, repacked bags into the 997, left things out of course, left dogs at home, took the 997 on a long drive.

So now she's running better.

Diagnosis... a bad batch of fuel? dirty injectors? combination of the two?

Anyway she's running okay at the moment, I might get the injectors and plugs looked at next year by Autoart.

I am still annoyed with PCM for just plugging in the computer, confirming I have a problem and not actually doing anything to fix it.

And the Subaru is a write off..... sigh.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, $1200 later I've replaced all 6 coil packs, and gotten a carbon clean and injector clean.

Result, car is idling fine now, touch wood, and the hesitation off idle seems to be gone, i.e. better throttle response from idle.

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time you might need to red-line your car, say in 2nd gear, then throttle off still in 2nd and let the car slow down naturally.  Do this with a hot/warm engine only.  This will mean heat, no fuel and the plugs get a good cleaning as the car slows down.   I used to do this to my old air-cooled car and also seems to work on the 997 ok.   Flat sixes need to be driven through the full rev range - so a couple of mandatory red-lines on the drive home from work is required ;)

• 2 months later...

Okay, update,

After cleaning injectors and changing spark plug leads and spending $$, the problem came back !!!

Also my fuel economy was sh*t

So after more googling, I decided to clean the MAF sensor, and wouldn't you know it, it sort of fixes the problem.

Sort of as in it's mostly gone away but hic-cups once in a while so not a 100% fix.

I might have to change the MAF sensor, guess I should look at Pelican parts.

And I need to clear the engine check light !

ECL is still on, I just got a bluetooth OBD2 module that'll I'll be plugging in.

Basically misfire in random cylinders was what I've been told by PCM and my other mechanic,

At the moment I am thinking maybe a clean of the Carby and the idle setting valve,

What do you guys think?

Just got my bluetooth OBD2 adaptor, worked great with Torque app on my phone, engine code is P0302, which is a misfire on cylinder 2,

Hmm last time it was all random cylinders now it's down to cylinder 2?

Just got my bluetooth OBD2 adaptor, worked great with Torque app on my phone, engine code is P0302, which is a misfire on cylinder 2,

Hmm last time it was all random cylinders now it's down to cylinder 2?

Possibly a coil playing up.

Try swapping a coil with one of the other cylinders and see if the fault follows the current no. 2 coil.

which bluetooth adapter did you get.. link?

This one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111231021421?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are cheaper ones on ebay but I didn't want a lemon.

Possibly a coil playing up.

Try swapping a coil with one of the other cylinders and see if the fault follows the current no. 2 coil.

I just had all the coils changed around Christmas. 

Sigh.

It could be a faulty air mass meter if a misfire is detect at random cylinders. If it's only logging a misfire at cylinder 2 then swap both spark plug and coil pack to another cylinder. Re-check and see the codes come up after. Accessing coils and spark plugs in a 997 will be much easier with a hoist but can be on the floor with a floor jack and jack stands.

• 4 weeks later...

so far so good, new plugs + coils + sticky lifter cleaner = very smooth idle

Also cured the occasional problem I had, which was after I've revved the engine hard.. the idle was lumpy.

so maybe it was sticky variocam lifters playing a part in my bad idle.

cross fingers it's all going to be fine for a while.

Archived