higher km 996

JonnoD

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 996 as my daily. I do a large amount of km's for work (about 40,000km per year) and i am wondering how reliable are they once they get up around the 200,000km mark. I know there is the ims issue that can be solved for $2k or so. Has anyone had any experience with the water cooled 911's that have this many km?

Cheers jonno

never mind the car. how reliable is your spine?

my experience is good with the 996. engine is great. German reliability and craftsmanship. nearly all problems I had trace back to dried up crusty plastic. more of age problem than Km's.

Yes, they are not the most comfortable cars for cruising. Standard suspension is pretty stiff.

It really boils down to your luck and how well maintained was the car by its previous owner when buying any used car.

Other than the common IMS bearing, there is also issues with the cylinder liner (not all 996s) which will cost a fair bit to fix. The usual wear and tear parts like oil separator which will require the engine to come out.

AOS would be your most major issue. Look for this in your receipts to see when it was last done. I had to do mine after 13 years at 87,000km. From what I understand it should come up around every 100,000k.

IMS should be fine by that point in time, although if you don't want to worry about it in bed at night then do the retrofit. Do this when your doing your AOS and it will save a bit of time and cash.

Plastics will be worn like IAM_996 said. Make sure the 2nd gear easily engages, a worn gear will indicate the box has been mistreated and can cost a bit to fix. Haven't heard too many other issues with engines when they are over 200. Get a PPI done on the car you're looking at buying and there shouldn't be many nasty surprises.

never mind the car. how reliable is your spine?

my experience is good with the 996. engine is great. German reliability and craftsmanship. nearly all problems I had trace back to dried up crusty plastic. more of age problem than Km's.

The plastics issue affects all German cars from about mid 1990s onwards. Windscreen washer pipes is my favourite (sarc)

I have seen that one Mike737. I agree with you in that auto's are not really my thing for a p car. My concern is not buying a high km one is more about buying one and then putting 120,000km on it over the next three years with out too much trouble.

JonnoD, if you are thinking of running cost and reliability then P cars are not for this purpose. or any sports car for that matter. I often said an old Porsche is not a car, it is a project.

This is why most of us have another daily drive. I have put 300,000km on my diesel 4x4 with nothig but service. that's not bad I thought.

With my 996 I spent more time under it than inside it. I am not complaining. It was just as pleasurable for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived