Now I know why you all drive Porsches........

PeterP

post-196-130061039345_thumb.jpgWell, Now I know the secret !

On Friday I picked up a 78 SC coupe. The guy who owned it has had it for about 8 years, done 2500-3000 kms in that time, and in his late 60's decided, as his wife didnt like it; it had to go. So after a fair bit of droving and consulting various people with far more knowledge than I, home it came.

Picked up around midday, and with a little trepidation we set off back to home between Berwick and Pakenham. Decided to hell with it, down the Tulla and out on the Monash it would be, with me holding my breath, as I didnt know this beast yet. One eye on the temperature, one eye on the oil light, one eye on the speedo and one eye in the rear view watching the idiots who dared to get close to MY Porsche.....exhausted by the time I got home. Well I much have looked like a right twit driving along with a grin a mile wide on my face (let alone all those eyes).

The vehicle ran like an abolsute clock, in fact so well, I decided to throw caution to the wind and Saturday morning off I went to Phillip Island to watch a frind race his A9X. U early and off I went, and what a drive. A few strange smells and noises but at 100km in 5th, pulling about 2000revs and 3 Bar(?) on the oil pressure guage, it again ran like an angel........if you saw this numptie in a white 911 laughing to himself: yep that was me !!

Got down there about 9.30, caught up with a few people, placed my order for the new Carrera GT (I wish!!), and watched a few races. By 11.30. I was starting to anticipate the drive back home, and was more interested in that than the remainder of the rcing, so home I came.......an absolute hoot !!

So know I know why you guys do this......when I picked up the car, the guy kept urging me, to keep this car for ever as he loved it; and I can see why....

All in all an excellent weekend.

cheers

Peter

Doesn't take long to get addicted, and it's a lifelong disease, a pleasant one at that. Just don't do a slick downshift to second on a greazy, wet roundabout - it tends to rotate them. Driver education and PCV track days coming up? ENJOY her!!

Cheers, to another white 911

Paul M

Doesn't take long to get addicted, and it's a lifelong disease, a pleasant one at that. Just don't do a slick downshift to second on a greazy, wet roundabout - it tends to rotate them. Driver education and PCV track days coming up? ENJOY her!!

Cheers, to another white 911

Paul M

Hi Paul,

Exactly....I will join PCV in the next fortnight and do exactly that, as I know this is a car that needs to be treated with respect.....Funnily enough, after reading posts from you and others, I am also going to give Spyder Automobiles a call and see if they will take care of it for me, as I am in Officer which is really handy.

So, yep, hooked already......

regards

Peter

Hi Peter, I.m sure you'll be happy with Mike's servicing. I leave my Porsche with him and catch the train home, then reverse the journey when it's finished. Labour rates are much better there and he has much Porsche experience.

Paul M

Hi Peter,

Congratulations and i must say car looks great. I have always loved white ones and yours looks very nice. Glad you got to drive it down to the island on what looked like the perfect day for a drive.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at some stage.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Peter

Your 911 looks great in the pic B) And yes, the Phillip Island Classic was a great event.

I read that you were doing 2000 rpm in 5th.... I have read somewhere in one of my manuals that the boxer motor is a higher revving motor and should not be driven under 2500 rpm, apparently low revs are not too good for the crank bearings under load, also the cooling air flow rate is proportional to engine rpm: lower gear = higher rpm = higher cooling air flow rate = lower engine load.

Hope to see you on the road sometime soon, keep smiling :)

Frank

Peter, a car club for sports cars near you is http://sportingregister.wordpress.com/ - east gippsland car club's sporting register.And if you're going to drive less than 91 days per year, you can save rego and comprehensive insurance money by going for VicRoads Club Permit registration.

Cheers Paul M

Hi Paul,

Just thought I would drop you a note and let you know I dropped my car out to Mike at Spyder on the weekend, and really impressed with our discussion. He rang today with a couple of issues that we are going to rectify and all good.

Now I cant wait to get it back......

cheers

Peter

Archived