Accident/Repair History on classic 911s

rminc

Hey guys,

I had a look at a 3.2 911 a fair while ago with a friend who was looking at purchasing one at the time, when we had notice the rear quarter panel had been replaced and you could tell as the body gaps were a little off and the welds were also a give away.

Just interested to know how common it is to find 911s that have had no accident or repair history. When I was looking at other cars finding out about previous accident history meant that they was ruled out for purchasing. 

Given these cars are getting up there with age and kms does it become more acceptable to not really be phased as long as it isn't structural? 

Thanks

Accident reporting really only happens with insurance claims - not all accidents end up in claims, and reporting systems from the 1980s are patchy.

A lot of 911s have rear end damage from going off the road backwards. If the frame is bent it is a deal breaker IMO. Shut lines should be perfect.

Very few cars are going to have made it through three decades without some filler or replaced panels though.

My view is that it's ok as long as there aren't structural issues and the repair has been done well. I hit a kangaroo in mine a couple years ago which damaged the front quarter and drivers door. An expert could probably see there's been a repair because the paint looks newer and if you catch it in certain light, the paint ever so slightly doesn't match the rest of the car. I've got photos of the repair and can guarantee it wasn't bogged up and I can't fault the repair. If someone was going to walk away from the purchase just because of that, then I'd say they're mad.

Years ago I purchased a VZ Clubsport second hand. I had it RACV tested before hand and they gave it the thumbs up. I was mortified  to find out shortly after that it had been in a serious front end accident, almost to the point of write off. By the end of my ownership with that car, it had been one of the most reliable cars I'd owned. It was in mint condition and never gave me problems. After that, I decided that repaired cars weren't an issue for me (and that RACV are useless idiots). I think if repairs are obvious, then walk away, otherwise go for it. You wouldn't want to walk away from a car that has had a supermarket carpark incident repaired for instance

Archived