Tyres out of balance?

Whipit

Hi All, have had my 996 cab for about 6 months, bought it mint cond, very low km with original continental tyres. I have had trouble with a vibration around 110 kms since I got it that I feel through the seat not the steering wheel. I have tried knocking it into neutral at 110 and it is still there so it is definitely not engine related.

I took the car in for a wheel balance at a local Bob Jane and it cured it for a few days, then it was back. Balanced them again, same was perfect for a few days then came back.

I went to another tyre dealer and got told the tyres were the issue as they were 10 years old, and gone hard so I just bought a new set of Yokohama's. When I picked up the car it was perfect, smoothest its ever been, then you guessed it the vibration came back. Took it back and personally watched them balance them this time, the rears were 40g & 30g out, which seemed a lot to me? Then a few days later yep you guessed it the vibration was back.

I just took it back again, and they pulled the tyres off all the rims and spun them on the balancer and they claim the wheels run out by about 3mm up and down, side to side, and they reckon the tyres are perfect but that I should get the rims rolled to make fix the run out. Never done this before but supposedly its no big deal and quite common.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience like this, do P cars need to be balanced a "special" way, maybe on the car? I just want to see what other things I can try before messing around with the wheels.

cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

A few years back a Mechanic told me P-Car all 4 wheels toe and camber can be adjust. Not all tire places can do the balancing...

Just wondering have you spoken with the mechanic who service your car about the problem you have?

Cheers,

David

Froggy, thanks mate but long drive from Adelaide :) but I may have to give him a call.

David, yes I took it to my mechanic before going back the last time to the tyre people. He only had a quick look as at that stage I was pretty sure it was the tyres. He put it on the hoist and thought there was some run out in the tyres, which is why I took it back to the tyre people. When they looked at it they said it was the wheels. A bit frustraing really. To be honest I dont really care what it is I just want to get to the bottom of it.

Just thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar problem before I go any further.

I am thinking on the week end I will raise the car and put it on stands and I have a dial indictaor and I will hand spin the wheels so at least I can see with my own eyes what may be going on.

Well just carefully jacked it up and put it on stands and rotated the wheels by hand. I clamped a steel rule about a millimetre from the edge of the rim as I spun it. There is virtually no run out whatsoever on both sides, not sure what the tyre people were looking at.

Had a good look at the balance weights the tyre people have stuck on, to be honest it looks like they have done it pretty crudely. Given the width of the carrera rims I would have thought you would want to get that spot on.

So i reckon I am going to do a bit of ringing around, and maybe ask Mark Buik who they use to do their wheel balancing and get them done properly and see if that fixes it.

Very frustrating, but will post once I work out what the issue is in case anyone else strikes it.

ciao.

were the wheel nuts torqued?

if over tightened by a rattle gun,this can cause distortion to the wheel ,culminating in a wheel wobble issue

haven't heard of happening to a 996 but there were issues on early 944's due to this problem

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, and yep they torqued them (I watched them do it). This morning have taken the car to another large tyre place close to work, the guy there seemed to know his stuff so I am going to try balancing them one last time to see if that cures it. He just rang to say the rears were 40g out each side which seems a lot, particularly given they were only redone about a week and a half ago and the tyres are brand new. Will post if it fixes it, and more importantly, it it does, does it stay like it....

Hi Gary

I had an issue with one of the rims that came with my car, and seller blamed lost wheel weight but I checked it out with a mate who is a mechanic, and said to get it rolled. I did and got seller to pay and it has totally cured the vibration. The rolling of the wheel cost about $100. I got mine done at Ajax wheels in Moorabbin in Melb but sure you will have ppl over there who can do it. If you don't Ajax have been around for ever and do a great job so may be worth shipping wheels over to.

cheers

Bruce

Hi Gary

found this link via an article on rim repair

click here

Douglas

hopefully others can explain. All I know is basically it puts the wheel back to true. I was told there is a risk the wheel will be damaged, but as the seller of my car was paying and said they would replace the wheel if it was ruined, I went ahead. The car has no vibration at all. A quick search on google and I found a few articles on rim repair but none explaining the process of rolling.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, a bit of a final update in case anyone else ever gets a similar problem.

A week ago my mechanic asked me to bring the car in, he put another pair of wheels from another 996 on it and I took it overnight to see if it was better. Nope problem exactly the same, so I took it back in and he swapped them back. But at least it eliminated the wheels/tyres as the problem.

I then left it with them for a couple of days so they could take their time and work through it. It seems the main issue was there were small spacers fitted between the hub and wheel on the rear, aparently they are not uncommon on the 996 with my Carrera wheels. I am not sure though if they were standard from Porsche but removing them made the problem dramatically less. He then got all 4 wheels rebalanced, and whilst he was there checked drive shafts, wheel bearing etc.

The problem has now almost completely gone, now I only get any vibration on one stretch of road, but it is maybe just a characteristic of my car, the rim size, and that speed on that particular stretch of road. As when I sit on 110 km/h on other roads now its perfect.

He does think the rear wheels have a little more run out (2-3mm) than he would have thought, so maybe at some stage I will get them rolled, but really I think now I am going to have a bit of a break and just enjoy driving it again.

I know its been a bit of a long winded story, but we got there in the end :)

Archived