968 Timing Belt change time?

968GTA

Hi All,

I've recently taken the plunge and purchased a mint condition 968 which has been meticulously maintained with service records going back to day 1.

There are a couple of things that I'd like your advice on:

The timing belt/balance shaft belts were replaced 20,000 kMs ago, but time wise, it has been four years. The general opinion I've read seems to be that the belts should be changed about every four or five years. I also read somewhere that this 4 to 5 yr limit applies mainly to Northern Hemisphere locations because of the extremes in temperature experienced there. Any thoughts on this?

Any guesstimates on the labour hours required to inspect the condition of the aforementioned belts?

Also, the steering is quite heavy at low speeds, even though the power steering is obviously working as the wheels can be turned when stopped. Does this sound normal for this model?

Your advice/comments will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Laurie

Laurie , the belts themselves are rarely the problem. My 944 came with a 12 yo belt and had been running just fine with a meshwork of cracks (though the balance belt was broken and seized , dodged a bullet there..)

To protect your investment a decent mechanic need to have a very good look at everything related to those belts (I'll wager they will look "fine" after just 20k and 4 years)  , and you have to be prepared to pay what needs to be done. No cheap parts! The question is , what is the PFA recommendation for a good 968 mechanic on the Sunshine Coast?

The belt itself is not a "culprit" It's just the lack of maintenance some of those guys up in the northern hemisphere tend not to do.

'cheap porsche yay. Oh maintenance time. wtf this costs nearly half the amount of the car, oh i'll just cheapily fix it and skip everything else, it'll be fine. ahh car is running slightly funny, better sell before more expensive.'

new owner- 'oh yay cheap porsche, small problems, easy fix. oh shit to expensive sell car' 

newer owner - 'oh cheap porsche project. runs ok, i'll drive it around. (snap bang clunk clunk clunk) oh timing belt broke. whats the damage? all valves bent? oh shit better part it out to get some money back'

And that's what happens. 

I'd just replace it. and see how old pump is. worth a change same time as belt and also do the rollers/idlers too. 

Pauly is 100% correct !

This may cost a few dollars up front but the long term savings are well worth it! never cut corners with these girls!

A lot like a cheap hooker you get what you pay for and some times some additional surprizes????

I think the belt change interval is a bit over hyped. Porsche trained mechanics seem to agree that they don't need to be changed every 3 years like I have read countless times online, having said that, it was first thing I did(and put new fuel lines on) as couldn't find when they were done last. I have since done them again but only because I fitted new light weight pulleys and so had to be done anyway. I have had car less than 5 years BTW.

Do the water pump as well, as same deal. I didn't do pump when I did belts, and when I arrived home from driving back from adelaide(8 hours staright), I pulled up at a mates factory and car dumped coolant every where. Dodged a bullet there, as would have killed the car if it happened on the trip.

My advise is same as above but I would add do the fuel lines too(cheap insurance) and go aeroquip or similar from rennbay or even better Braided lines from Luis Artiga(Larts Parts on ebay). You can get Luis on Rennlist as Larts Parts or facebook as Luis Artiga, and he is a great guy to deal with.

Also welcome to the front engined water cooled family. IMO one of the most helpful and generous group of enthusiasts you could imagine.

To add . the belts are better quality than first time around. Also , too much tension wreaks havoc on the pulleys etc , and too little tension is a recipe for misery. You can get the $2 tension tool , the $600 factory one or something in between. And your mechanic may just resort to his magic touch , like he does with his virtual torque wrench

You guys know all this anyway :) .

To add . the belts are better quality than first time around. Also , too much tension wreaks havoc on the pulleys etc , and too little tension is a recipe for misery. You can get the $2 tension tool , the $600 factory one or something in between. And your mechanic may just resort to his magic touch , like he does with his virtual torque wrench

You guys know all this anyway :) .

If you have an auto belt tensioner, make sure that's up to scratch by replacing the spring if you feel need to. and you dont need a tensioning tool. 

Thanks a lot for all the good advice, Guys. I took the car to Carl at SVS Maroochydore to get checked out. He said that the belts were in great condition and advised a change in 12 months. (All belts, rollers etc. documented as being changed 20,000 kMs ago). Rest of the car reported to be obviously well cared for and in very good condition.

Fingers crossed!

Archived