993 quirks

tomo

Top 10 Quirks about the Porsche 993

1. By removing the intermittent wiper relay you can park your wipers on the passenger's side of the windshield. The only cost is your intermittent wiper feature is disabled.
  2. Porsche designed a completely new dashboard for the 993. The 1965-style dash was retained because Porsche was still in dire financial straights during the development phase (1991-1992.)
  3. Narrow-body 993s came standard with 16" alloys, which makes the stock "SUV" ride height even more silly looking. Almost all 993s upgraded to the 17" wheels.
  4. If you want to stop your rear spoiler from flapping up and down continuously, just depress it once in the up position when the vehicle exceeds 10mph.
  5. The mirrors on the car are not symmetrically positioned.
  6. The steering wheel is slightly off center relative to the drivers seat.
  7. The roof line and luggage compartment is not only identical to the 964's , but remains unchanged since 1974.
  8. The body of a 993 is not mounted on a chassis in the center, it's slightly towards the passenger side.
  9. The word Varioram was not cast onto the intake until about half way through the '96 production year and not all cars received this treatment.
  10. Engines in the Turbo models sit 40mm further back in the compartment compared to non-turbo cars.

Did I miss anything major? Let me know. What about other models? What are the quirks of the early 911s, 930, 964, 996 and 997? What about the Boxsters and Cayennes? Let’s not forget the 924, 944 and 968s.

[source: Rennlist, Adrian Streather, Individual Contributors to 993C4S.com]

4. If you want to stop your rear spoiler from flapping up and down continuously, just depress it once in the up position when the vehicle exceeds 10mph.

Thanks Tomo,

I'll use this info!

Actually never thought of a 993 having quirks........

Thanks Tomo,

I'll use this info!

Actually never thought of a 993 having quirks........

This becomes pretty annoying when driving along an 80kph road that has intersections.

I guess this will work for 964's too.

5.  The mirrors on the car are not symmetrically positioned.

Isn't this on most 911s?

Archived